View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 20:08   #77
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by void * View Post
You should know quite well by now that it is my position that while it is *possible* for some people approach their own atheism in a religious manner, that does not require all atheists to do so.

And if you'd read your own link, you'd know "the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith or none at all."

The court did not rule atheism was a religion. It ruled that it had to be treated equivalently for First Amendment purposes, not that it met a common definition of religion, which is a distinction that you apparently are completely unable to make (although, as evidenced in the link you provided, the court was. Legal definitions do not have to match reality. The EPA definition of 'solid waste' is such that solids, liquids, and gases can meet the definition - that does not mean that when someone talks about solids on a message board, they mean gases, too.
The issue is that you are trying to argue that because some people that you don't agree with use a certain argument, that I need to subscribe to it also.

So, when you achieve complete consensus that Atheism Is a Religion in GTRI, I'll go with your argument. Cherry picking from the courts finding is no better than cherry picking from any other opinion you don't agree with that is not mine.

Until then, I'll have my own opinion, even if it disagrees with some people that agree with me on certain positions. I'll agree that as far as the Constitution goes, it guarantees freedom of religion. I understand how some believe that the constitution guarantees freedom FROM religion, but I don't agree.

In the nicest way I can say it, when you want to debate, debate with the fellow you are conversing with, not some other guy you heard about once upon a time......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote