View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 14:13   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
The hammer forging process usually yields a stronger barrel. Not to mention most tool steels with the proper heat treat are stronger than the stainless used in most barrels.

I am not sure if companies like KKM, Storm lake and etc machine their barrels from bar stock, a casting or a forging though.

I am not surprised the barrel split the way it did. I would think the barrel failed due to a squib there would be a bulge closer to muzzle from the squib load bullet being stuck in the barrel. I still think this was a double charge.
I would think it depends on where the obstruction is. If it's at the end, you get the banna peel or bulge, depending on pressures. IF the bullet were stuck just inside the bbl, dbl of fast pwoder like BE, I could see the chamber letting go, but since no one really knows what exactly happened, it's all a guess.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote