View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 23:07   #9
BenjiEDF

A pistol grip doesn't belong on a mossberg 500 and no it will not reduce recoil. If you "brace for it" you won't be able to hit the broad side of the barn with it. Get a 20 gauge mossberg and add a nice soft recoil pad and you will be good to go.

The hardest hitting basterd I've shot is my Mossberg 500 with 1 ounce slugs, makes my 6.5lb 30-06 feel like a nerf gun. Don't put your shoulder at risk for further injury. AR's don't even really have any recoil to speak of, you mentioned that in your post... a 12 gauge is way more violent. 20 gauge is nice though, and if you just want a home defense type setup that would work well.

Shotgun loads vary bigtime in felt recoil though... bird shot and game loads won't kill you in a 12g but is that what you want at your bedside? maybe you do maybe you don't... just warning you that the heavy slugs will beat your wounded shoulder up.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote