View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 13:31   #1497
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzone View Post
just this month I swear i have seen about a DOZEN or two dozen people using ebt cards in convenience stores to buy cokes and drinks and junk food, etc...I had NO IDEA they were even allowed to do this!!! I come from a dirt poor family where we ate beans and cornbread and were glad to get it.... sheesh, if the govt cant put "minutes" on thos ebt crads, we are gonna see riots all over the place..... buy ammo!!!!!!!
Long story short my MIL received a full food stamp allotment for about 6 months; once SSDI kicked in it was cut by roughly 75%. I think she still gets about $56/month

She lived with me for about 6-7 months and we ate like kings. Truth be told the only things the cards wouldn't buy were hot deli items, liquor and smokes. We could buy cold deli ham but a roaster chicken...nope. Chips, candy (she has a thing for gummy bears) all good. Combined with our household food budget we ate extremely well.

I will say this. Between SSDI, food stamps, utility assistance, low income housing ($256/month for a very small 300 sf place - although its warm, safe, clean and in a nice middle class neighborhood), discounted transportation services, Medicaid etc she lives a pretty nice care free life.

She isn't flying to Vegas on weekends and has no car. She is retired without having retired. However, between discounted cable the local company provides, our public library's selection of DVDs, TV series, books, music, etc. her time is her own.

However, the other side of the transaction was this. She was declared disabled because of the self induced effects of smoking. If she had stayed at her job which still included a traditional pension, and wouldn't have had to give up $200,000 from her 401K to be declared destitute to qualify for Medicaid her income today would be nearly triple.

Working has its advantages.

Last edited by pugman; 01-30-2013 at 13:31..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote