View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 13:39   #63
scottz0369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
Through multiple disappointments that people aren't going to coddle them or baby them just because they don't like people illustrating the flaws, contradictions, and inequities in their belief system.

The easy thing to do would be to just accept that people aren't going to agree and learn to deal with it. But instead many of the religious just want those that disagree silenced. As Geko said, many believers feel that people just simply shouldn't be allowed to disagree openly because it's some kind of imagined assault on their faith.
I think our definitions of "the hard way" differ. For me, it means some discomfort inflicted by an outside source. Disappoinment for me is mainly an internal state caused by something not meeting my predetermined expectations. If I expect everyone to agree with me, I'll certainly be disappointed, but that's my problem, not everyone else's. Would I like to see everyone agree with me? I don't think so. My understanding of God is incomplete and imperfect, and requiring or expecting everyone to agree with me would make me no different than a narcissist at least, and a dictator at worst. I'm pretty sure I'm not cut out for either.
While I can't speak for Christians as a group, I can speak for myself, and I didn't decide that being a Christian was the easy way to get along in the world; It's far easier for me to take the atheist or agnostic path or to simply keep quiet, particulalrly when I was in grad school. I can't count the number of times I was shouted down there for not toeing the party line. I darn near failed the multicultural studies (it was actually relativism) class. I don't feel persecuted for it though. Going to school was a voluntary choice on my part, and I knew what I was walking in to - nobody forced me there. Therefore, babying and coddling due to a belief doesn't align with anything I've enountered in the world, unless of course you're in the company of like-minded people. In fact, it's probably safe to say that anyone that takes a position on anything will subject themselves to attack of those beliefs. For example, I think the Marine Dress Blue is the most awesome uniform worn by our armed forces. Although true, I would expect attacks for that belief (that was snark......mostly)
Also, in my experience, disappointment is part of life and the reality of living in what I consider a fallen world. It is what it is. I can't change the world, but I can have a small part in changing hearts.