View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 15:33   #75
scottz0369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
As we've noted before you appear to be one of the rare exceptions. You can see by this thread there are believers that want to silence the opposition because they feel unfairly persecuted knowing full well there will be people in here that disagree with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post
As we've noted before you appear to be one of the rare exceptions. You can see by this thread there are believers that want to silence the opposition because they feel unfairly persecuted knowing full well there will be people in here that disagree with them.
Actually, I'm not an exception. The vast majority of Christians go about their lives much in the same way that I do - quietly and with as much respect as can be mustered, as do many athiests, Buddists, Druids, Wiccans, Hindus, followers of Mithra, Muslims, Humanists, FSM devotees, undecideds, etc.

Any group of people will have those that are outspoken, vocal, or abrasive about their beliefs, and I'm not surprised to find them on a discussion board. There are also people that just seem to like to be contrarian about darn near anything, and they can also be easily found on discussion boards. I wouldn't take a sample of any discussion board and attempt to extrapolate it to the larger population. Using the comments of a handful of Chistians (or any other belief system) on an internet forum to define an entire subculture is stereotypical and dishonest. The internet has facilitated the ability to argue with a large number of people with speed and efficiency unimagined in previous generations. It's also enabled us to make fools of ourselves with the same speed and efficiency. And yes, I include myself in that statement. I'm on a few internet forums - google search my user name for verification of my foolishness - the internet doesn't forgive or forget.

Not being vocal doesn't necessarily correlate with a lack of convictions. My experience with people from the aforementioned groups (and Christians as well) indicates that many have a difficult time articulating thier views, don't want to open themselves up to criticism, or simply don't want to engage in a debate.

I do think that Christians are becoming more vocal because they do believe they are being attacked, and that's an understandable response. I would expect that most people with strong beliefs would attempt to defend those beliefs when they come under attack. I know that if I were to be as critical and in-your-face to a Muslim as Christians are here in this forum when I was embedded with an Iraqi battalion, there would be a very real possiblity that I would pay with my life. The biggest thing I learned from that situation was prudence, respect and gentleness with my comments. Fortunately here in America, we don't have that threat, and I don't know a single Christian that would advocate a similiar response.