View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 14:06   #25
Any Cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post

Are the following correct, given that 180gr 10mm loads can vary from producing 1,000 fps up to around 1,350 fps from a 4.6" barrel?

1. The best recoil spring to consistently handle the lighter loads won't be ideal for the heavier loads.Maybe, or not. The problem is that no one actually knows.

2. The best recoil spring to consistently handle the lighter loads will, however, work for the heavier loads, but will result in the slide slamming harder/faster against the receiver.It seems that way, but remember that you have to hold the gun much firmer for the heavier spring to work. Could it be that the heavy spring still lets the slide hit just as hard because of that? I don't know. Is the slide speed related to kinetic energy or momentum? It changes things. Does it matter if the slide hits harder in the first place?

3. The best recoil spring to consistently handle the heavier loads won't work consistently well with the lighter loads.Depends on what the 'best' spring is and how tolerant the design is of an improper spring rate, or if the spring rate even matters.

4. With the heavier spring and firing the heavy loads, the slide will not slam as hard against the receiver as with a lighter spring.See #2. Also, is it actually detrimental for the slide to hit the frame harder?

I think all of those things are true, but I admit I am no expert and could be wrong about something. I know the slide also will close harder with the heavier spring.

If those things are true (and one slide can't work ideally both for 400 ft-lb and 750 ft-lb loads), for those who only intend to fire the limited number of factory loadings available that are hotter than the .40 S&W (or handload and load hot), it makes sense to me to install a stouter spring.

I have not had a single FTF/FTE with my 22-lb spring. I'm not saying anyone else should run out and get one, but it's not necessarily a preposterous concept.

For me, my range time is not limited by the recoil springs I do or don't buy. It's limited by my abysmal work schedule and the amount of time I'm willing to spend away from my family during the remainder.
I don't mean to argue, I would love to hear what you think. My only thought is that there is a lot more engineering that goes in to each part than most people realize, so it would take several important pieces of info to be able to say at which point a spring would be required, and whether it would be detrimental under any conditions.

There is going to be a limit on how hard the slide can hit the frame, based on how rigidly the frame can be held by human hands and the slide speed that can be achieved by the load itself. The ultimate question is whether there is a load, and which load that would be, that can raise slide speed high enough to damage the frame when it is held by human hands . Once again, I don't know the slide speed, at what point it is damaging to the frame, how grip strength affects the issue, or which loads will have the most drastic affect on slide speed. If someone had all of those answers, they could start arguing with the factory.

There are several parts to an auto's recoil, the muzzle coming up and the slide coming back, the slide hitting the frame, the slide accelerating forward, and the slide hitting full lockup. A different spring that changes properties in one direction would have to make up the difference somewhere. If it can slow the slide sooner, it will accelerate it forward faster and it will hit the frame on closing harder. Not saying anything is right or wrong, but can imagine that it is difficult to quantify recoil well since there are multiple components that we may perceive differently.

Last edited by Any Cal.; 02-01-2013 at 14:24..
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote