View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 23:51   #24
Wurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
We tried it out along side a number of guns of it's original era, the Mauser HSC, Savage, Colt, Remington and a few of our day, Astra Constable most notably. We found most of them to be equal or superior to the Walther, the Colt and the Savage were not as "pointable", but the Remington was far superior in that regard The Mauser was sadly about on a par with the Walther. That is why we concluded it was overrated. Several of us got either hammer bite or slide cuts from quick deployment of the gun.
Although I really don't like the phrase, I'll have to use it anyways, 'we will have to agree to disagree'.

It is interesting to note that of those pistols you note having tested side by side with the Walther, namely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
... the Mauser HSC, Savage, Colt, Remington ...
the only pistol that was and still remains to this day a commercial success is the Walther PPK.

Each to their own but unfortunately, more individuals, law enforcement agencies and military establishments agree with me.

While not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, the Walther PPk (or PPK/S) is still used and carried by quite a few people in this day of the polymer pistols while the Mauser HSC, Savage, Colt and Remington period pistols you mention are primarily collector items that reside in someone's safe.

.....and before anyone mentions it, I really don't care what Bond uses in the movies. Pop culture is almost always a poor source of wisdom to determine any choice we make here in the real world.

Last edited by Wurger; 02-01-2013 at 23:55..
Wurger is offline   Reply With Quote