View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04   #8
fredj338

Go too light & you'll likely need a recoil spring change, especially w/ the lighter bullets. With lead bullets, it's alwaus about proper size. Larger is better than smaller (who says size doesn't matter), so 0.4015"-0.402" would be the dia I was looking for. The 10mm being a higher pressure round, even at lower vel, straight clip ww are probably your best bet, it's what I run in my 1006 & Delta @ 1100fps w/ 180gr.
SInce you have some exp reloading, you can extrapolate Herco data using Lyman #49 & the brun rate tables. DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Anytime you go off book, you are on your own. Unique is a bit faster than HErco. So using starting data for Unique & working up should be plenty safe. If you have a chrono, just stop when you get to 1000fps +/-. or when functioning is 100%. You may need to get to 1100fps to get it to run stock. Someone w/ Quickloads could run the load for you, but I am thinking somewhere around 6.5gr & 19K-20K cup for a 150gr LTC. If you note, Herco is a bit faster than AA#5 & Lyman goes 8gr for 1200fps & 21K cup.. So I think Herco fits right in there. It was THE powder for choice w/ lead bullets in high pressure 9mm cast loads back in the day.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-05-2013 at 02:07..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote