View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 08:46   #34
Shadowhawk176

Best thing to do for eliminating the "flinch factor" is dry firing. That will get her used to pulling the trigger and not flinching. Sure, it is different when a round is in the barrel, but if she could get used to the act of pulling the trigger without flinching, that will help. If she catches herself flinching while using live ammo, have her remove the ammo and dry fire again. If you're concerned about the notion of dry firing damaging the gun (which I have never observed in any of my guns) then pick up some 9mm snap caps, which will give the firing pin something to hit that is meant specifically for that purpose. Not to mention she can also do dry firing practically anywhere, naturally just as long as she's very careful to ensure the gun is empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomechanic View Post
So I'm posting this for my wife using my account.

Back-story (shortened): my wife grew up in a very oppressive household that put fear of guns above that of death and taxes. Her mom was controlling and had mental problems herself. Then she met me. I had a few guns when we dated and got married, but I'm not a 'gun nut' (not that there's anything wrong with gun nuts ). She did not even want to be in the same room with a gun. I never pressured her to shoot, handle, or otherwise like my guns or any guns.

After 4 years of marriage and me not pressuring, her attitude and outlook on guns has radically changed. She shot my old .22 Luger pistol and then shot my .380 Sig P230 a few times. Then this year for Christmas I got her a G19 (which she picked out and tried out by renting at the range first) and she really loves it. However, she's having a bit of trouble at the range and she's becoming discouraged and down on herself.

The main problem is she's anticipating the trigger. She flinches just before firing which causes the barrel to drop and her to shoot low. She's on center for the most part, just low. The range guides have given her tips and tricks and whatnot to help her, but it hasn't really. She's been working on taking her time to shoot and notice what she's doing incorrectly.

She went to the range by herself today and was told that she needs to stop shooting the Glock and solely shoot the .22.

My thought is this shooting thing is all still so new that she's still having a bit of sensory overload (her words) and she's just not used to it yet. I told her she just needs time and practice. More time behind her Glock and many more rounds to get her used to not only the gun, but the recoil, the noise, and being in a loud environment with other guns. She does better after she's been shooting for 30 minutes or so. She does worst when she first arrives. She's only shot at 7 yards and is concerned about being ready for her CHL class (womens only at the end of Feb).

Any other ladies out there can offer advice? Am I off base with my thoughts? I've got firearms experience, but I'm no expert.

My wife thanks y'all in advance.
Shadowhawk176 is offline   Reply With Quote