View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46   #7
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
They psychologically messed the **** out of my head and I'll bet you can find other atheists around here that will tell a similar story. Same thing.
Well, I can say that when I figured it out, I felt somewhat like the whole world had lied to me. I can also say that when I believed, I used to have a recurring dream where a 40-foot Jesus would come and take everyone but me to heaven - and when I stopped believing, I no longer had that dream, because I really, truly no longer feared that.

And I think that certain practices of certain religions can approach, and even outright be, psychological abuse.

However, do you really think that merely telling a kid something that is factually incorrect /that you actually believe/ rises to that level all by itself?

If I happened to actually believe that Nero fiddled while Rome burned, for whatever reason, and I tell my kid that - do you think that is child abuse?
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 02-07-2013 at 02:04..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote