View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05   #12
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post

Whether the parent believes they are telling the truth or acting in the child's best interest is largely irrelevant. The schizophrenic parent might really believe demons are coming for their child, so they instruct the child to perform bizarre rituals to ward them off. Is that then mental abuse? Depends on the impact on the child, really.

The question then becomes not a matter of what is and is not child abuse, but rather the establishment of criteria where we as a soceity say, "Ok, if these types of things are happening then we are going to step in". Where do we draw that line? That is the real debate.
Oh, sure. I don't disagree with that. I'm just saying that, if someone tells their kid 'the world is 6k years old', and they actually believe it, treating that all by itself as child abuse is hyperbole.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson
void * is offline   Reply With Quote