View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 16:26   #10
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACitizen View Post
I recently bought a glock 23 and have put about 500 rounds down range trying to get over my flinch/slap issues. Getting better and working through them. On to my main issue...I am right handed and right eye dominant but had my right eye cut by someone's fingernail about 30 years ago.

As I have gotten older my eyesight in that eye has degraded especially in the center of the eye. I learned to shoot pistols when i was about 6 or 7 but have not shot them for about 20 years. I really enjoy shooting them but have noticed that my vision in my dominant eye makes it more difficult to maintain center when bullseye shooting.

Will be going to eye doc to try to help but i wanted to find out if there are any viable techniques to utilize the opposite eye. Normally shoot out of weaver type stance. Having been checking out CAR due to use of opposite eye. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
All is not lost!

The good news is that the right side of your brain, and your left eye are consistently more accurate - and easier to shoot with - than the left side of your brain, and your right eye. There's even a number of passages in the Holy Bible attesting to this fact! (The unerringly accurate left-handed sling throwers of Benjamin referenced in The Book Of Judges 20:16.)

I'm, also, living proof that you can shoot a pistol more accurately with your left-hand and eye than you can with your right. Years ago I lost the use of my right-hand for about a year and a half.

During this time I began shooting with my left-hand; and, importantly, I also switched to using my left eye too. It's been decades since that accident happened; and, guess what? I'm still more accurate with my left-hand/left eye than with my right! I am faster with my right-hand; but not as accurate. I guess it's just how the human brain works!

I'm not going to tell you what to do; but, if I were to offer any advice it would be that once you start shooting with your left-hand you should stay that way. After awhile it'll become a habit; and, once it's programmed into your habit pattern, you'll be fine - Even when you move at speed. (Like I said, 'I'm living proof.')
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote