View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 22:14   #14
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Here's what we did. About 15 total shooters....

Experiment - Chambered Vs Unchambered Vs Calf OC
We had a little experiment with the first three (3) CoFs, at our weekly IDPA match tonight - Here's what we did:

Each stage was set up where the targets were four (4) yards away - seven (7) rounds; not limited. T1 is shot standing in the open - two (2) shots to the body, one (1) to the head;then move to the barricade two (2) yards to the right;from behind cover, "pie" T2 & T3 with two (2) shots each;

Here's what was different:

Stage 1 - Cover garment required, firearm holstered with magazine inserted and round in the chamber

Stage 2 - Cover garment required, firearm holstered with magazine inserted and NO round in the chamber.

Stage 3 - California OC Style - No cover garment allowed, magazine in belt pouch, and NO magazine in firearm, and NO round in chamber.

I averaged the masters/experts/sharpshooters in one group, and marksmen, novices and unknowns in second group - then averaged everyone combined in the third group, and here are the results:

MA/EX/SS - (Stage 1/Stage 2/ Stage 3)

Raw Times - 5.31 / 5.50 / 6.04
Scores - 6.48 / 6.50 / 8.06

MM/NV/UK - (Stage 1/Stage 2/ Stage 3)

Raw Times - 6.50 / 6.40 / 6.94
Scores - 7.05 / 6.90 / 8.64

Combined - (Stage 1/Stage 2/ Stage 3)

Raw Times - 6.05 / 6.06 / 6.60
Scores - 6.84 / 6.75 / 8.42

Personally, I think that Stage 1 was at a little bit of a disadvantage in that everyone shot it "cold" - and if there had been a "warm up stage" before, the scenario in stage 1 might have scored a little better. But overall I think the results were pretty interesting - In every group, the raw times are about 2/3rds of a second, or less, apart for each method.