View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 20:42   #11
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

The first time I arrived in Europe I stayed with a family in France on the Belgian border. The father hunted rabbits with a 12 gauge shotgun. They told me that hare tastes stronger or gamier than rabbit. They preferred rabbit. The father told me that rabbits burrow in the ground and hares nest and sleep on top of the ground. I think most of the animals we call rabbits in America do not burrow. Some say they are technically hares and not rabbits but I have also seem them described as American rabbits and are different from European rabbits but are not hares. The French father told me one animal can't see straight ahead, only side to side due to their eyes. This causes them to run zig-zag. The other animal can see straight ahead and runs or hops in a straight line. He said the zig-zag hopping one is more difficult to shot witha rifle and shotguns are popular to hunt them. I have forgotten which one of these was the rabbit and which one was the hare but I'm guessing since he hunted rabbit with a shotgun that might be the one that runs zig-zag. I've never heard this distinction in America and 22 caliber rimfire rifles or popular for rabbit hunting in America.

I did stay on a rabbit farm in Belgium for quite a while and ate plenty of rabbit and got really good at skinning them.