View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 13:30   #19
triage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge View Post
Nice holsters. The shark looks great. I have yet to try anything but cow or horse.

I'd be interested to hear how you dyed this one... type of dye, method (airbrush?), etc. How did you get the tiger stripe effect?
This holster was dip dyed in 32 oz of light brown Fiebing's Pro dye cut with 2 gallons of denatured alcohol. The mixture was a really light brown and I could control the darkness by how long I had it submerged in the mixture. Usually I would dip it for 20 seconds and then after it dried and I saw how light or dark it was then I would maybe dip it for another 10-20 seconds. I no longer dip dye browns due to its inconsistency with cowhide. Every 8-10 holsters would get dark splotches on the edges and it looked horrible.

I now spray my pieces using a Iwata sprayer and pump. Much nicer finishes, even consistency now but its is a longer process.

The "tiger striping" was really light when I cut the piece. It disappeared when I dyed the piece. I thouight "that sucks" but after I put the finishing Resolene acrylic on is when the tiger striping really popped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
triage is offline   Reply With Quote