View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 18:56   #1
WiskyT
Malcontent

Samsung Smart TV

We just got a Samsung TV that is "smart". I'm new to this new generation of stuff. I like things the laptop/desktop way with a normal browser. I don't like all of this "apps" business and don't know much about them.

Does anyone know what this thing uses for an OS? I figured it would be Android, but the default on the browser is the MSN page. It has a browser, but when I got to Hulu (regular Hulu, not Hulu Plus) I can't click on an icon for an episode of something. For instance, I can browse to The Rockford Files and the same page comes up as it would if I was using FF etc. But when I move the cursor up and down it will skip the icons for the actual episodes so there is no way to click on them. I have to ASSume this is on purpose.

Is there anyway to install a standard version of FF or Chromium or any browser that will let me do anything in terms of surfing the web that I can do with a "normal" computer like Ubuntu would? I'm guessing that the answer for a non-geek like me would be a simple no, but I'm just curious about this device and what can be done with it.

Any other thoughts anyone has on this particular device would be appreciated too.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote