View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21   #5
Nagoya10

I just finished reading this book last night. A very impressive, well researched book and I learned a tremendous amount about some of the various gun control events from the past and the behind the scenes efforts of Glock in dealing with them that were detailed in the book. One thing that became quite clear as you go farther into the book, the author, Paul Barrett, has some gun control tendencies and mimics some of the typical libtard crap of how you don't need more than 10 round magazines and universal background checks and a national data base are a great idea and seems to believe some of the marxists ideas on limiting gun sales and other restrictions are a good idea. He does approach these in a more analytical way and tries to link (unfortunately) some of the police involved shootings where large numbers of rounds were fired by multiple officers at a single individual as partially able to occur because magazines have so many rounds. He does not appear to support gun control in the main, however, and shows how some of these gun control pushes in the past failed. These are about the only negatives I found in the book.

As for the positives, it pulls the sheets off of Glock Inc. and shows some of the intrigue, greed, tax evasion, fraud, political maneuvering, egos, sex and the outright dominance of Gaston Glock in his firearm company. It also reveals much about Gaston Glock and gives a real insight on this highly secretive man. The description of his personality and actions can be compared in many ways, in my opinion only, to another very famous Austrian: Adolf Hitler. Gaston is NOT a Hitler in the sense of racism and murder, however. But his arrogance, dominance, selfishness and overriding belief that he is right on everything does compare. However, I have seen this same trait in many Europeans, especially Germans, so maybe its a cultural thing. It was pointed out that Gaston does not like Americans, he thinks we are "stupid." I suppose if a person was to get their education of Americans through the mainstream media and our politicians a person may believe that. But I think in Gaston's case its because of his huge arrogance and failing to look beyond his narrow perception. Although Gaston strongly dominates the company and its direction, reading between the lines it also appears the American branch, which is the largest and most profit making part of Glock, is pretty much allowed to be run as seen fit by those in charge of it. It appears one of the reasons Jannuzzo was able to steal for so long and so easily from the company is because of the independence they have over here.

It gives a great history of the development of the pistol and how some forward thinking sales people in the company, primarily Karl Walter, got this pistol out there and did some innovative things to get it well known, popular and most of all, desired by the gun buying public, police and governments. The book is not a technical treatise so if you are looking for descriptions of the different models and mechanical things this book will not satisfy you. This book shows the people behind the Glock and how the company has become a giant in the industry, politics, manufacturing, gun culture and of course pistol sales. There also is no talk of prototypes or any upcoming designs.

Overall this is an excellent book and if you are a Glocker this book would be of great interest. If not for some of his anti-gun views, which are very mild considering Barrett is a journalist, this would be a top 10 book in the firearms world.