View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 23:07   #26
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

More GSSF TIPS #23-35

Topic hosted by Bobby Carver

Question:
When shooting any of the stages (especially the "Five to Glock"), at what point during recoil do you begin to press the trigger again for the next shot? Do you wait until the sight picture is perfect, or do you begin to press when the sight picture is close?

Response
I will address each question separately.

The first part..."at what point during recoil do you begin to press the trigger again for the next shot?

I follow the basic safety rule of shooting....I don't squeeze the trigger until my target is in front of my sights. At the end of the recoil cycle, when the front sight is realligned, I will release the trigger until the striker is reset. I do not release the trigger the full length of the reset, but only until the striker resets. Controlling your trigger, reducing the amount of finger and trigger movement is important to manage your shots in a consistent manner. "I do not release my trigger to reset it until I'm ready to shoot again. I hold the trigger to the rear after each shot, until I'm ready to shoot the next shot. This method may seem awkward at first but if you practice holding the trigger to the rear and then release it when ready to shoot, you will see improved shot placement.

With ample practice, I have learned how to control my trigger pull so that whenever my target is in my sights, I'm ready to break the trigger or release the striker to fire the round aimed at the target.
Consistent dry firing will train you to control your trigger without releasing the trigger to its initial stage.

The second part..."Do you wait until the sight picture is perfect, or do you begin to press when the sight picture is close?"

I wait until the sight picture is perfect. If I can't see the correct target or sight alignment, I hold the trigger until the sights are aligned correctly or I can see my target correctly. Under no circumstances should you "anticipate" your target.....wait until its visible and you feel that you are going to hit your target.

The next time that you practice, hold the trigger to the rear after the first shot, when the sights are realigned and you can see the target and sight picture clearly, release the trigger until it resets, then pull straight back for your second shot, THEN move your shoulders and handgun to the next target, THEN release the trigger to a reset and when the sights are aligned, pull the trigger straight back, etc.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me. Remember, "there's no replacement for practice to improve your shooting skills."
"Home of the CARVER Mount"
www.bb-enterprise.biz
BCarver is offline   Reply With Quote