View Single Post
Old 04-02-2004, 20:41   #28
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

GSSF Tip #25-#35

There are only 10 more tips to complete our GSSF Tips report that remain address. For the course of the next few weeks, these will be completed so that the original 35 questions by GSSF competitors will be responded to.

Topic #25 hosted by Bobby Carver
How do you handle a malfunction? Do you ask for a re-shoot immediately (assuming factory ammo)?

Response
GSSF warranties the dependability of all "stock" Glock handguns by providing a reshoot of any GSSF stage where a jam or failure to fire occurred as long as the competitor is using factory ammunition. The exception to this rule is applied if the competitor is using a modified or customized Glock in the Unlimited Class. Since the handgun has been modified, Glock cannot warranty the functioning of their handgun so the "reshoot" rule does not apply. If you are shooting a Glock with the allowed modifications to maintain the status of a "stock" Glock, according the rule book, in the Unlimited and are using factory ammunition, you would qualify for a reshoot if a jam or failure to fire occurs.

In most cases, you will be allowed to reshoot each string up to and including the string of fire where the jam or FTF (Failure to Fire) occurred. An exception to this statement would be the plates. If you had already shot 3 strings and your jam or FTF occurred on the 4'th string, you would be allowed to refire the 4'th string.

Now that we have cleared the air on what is allowed for a reshoot and why, I'll address the questions:

A. How do you handle a malfunction?

I'm going to address this question in two parts:
A. GSSF Competition
B. NonGSSF Competition

GSSF Competition
If I'm using factory ammo and a "stock status" Glock:

1. With my Glock pointed downrange, I drop my magazine, clear the jam or unfired round and lock my slide back, laying the Glock on the table or shelf in front of me.
2. With my Glock laying on the shelf or table, I turn to the RO and explain that I am shooting factory ammunition and wait for them to declare my handgun as "safe".
3. I then ask the RO if I can reshoot.
4. If the jam or malfunction appears to be more than "bad ammo", I ask the RO for my score sheet and request for them to sign off that I had a jam, etc. and mark Reshoot on the sheet, signing it.
5. I would then proceed to the Armorer for them to check out my Glock before reshooting.

If I'm using handloaded ammo and/or a "nonstock status" Glock:

1. With my Glock pointed downrange, I drop my magazine, clear the jam or unfired round and reseat the same magazine or a spare loaded magazine.
2. Assume shooting the target or targets that I failed to engage prior to the malfunction.

NonGSSF Competition

1. With my Glock pointed downrange, I drop my magazine, clear the jam or unfired round and reseat the same magazine or a spare loaded magazine.
2. Assume shooting the target or targets that I failed to engage prior to the malfunction.

Please note: Since I shoot all handloaded ammunition, I always leave at least one "extra" loaded magazine on the table or shelf in front of me for reloads should I have a malfunction, etc.

B. Do you ask for a re-shoot immediately (assuming factory ammo)?
Yes, if I'm using a "stock status" Glock.

Please remember that most R.O.'s that are serving our needs and pleasures at a GSSF match are volunteers and some have had no prior experience in R.O.'ing and may not remember the part of orientation where Chris, Scott or Dave explained that reshoots are allowed for malfunctions or misfires of "factory ammo". If the R.O. says that that's not allowed, just explain they are or show them your Glock Report or ask for your score sheet and take it to the Match Director (Chris, Scott or Dave) and explain the question. Disputing the R.O.'s declaration will not solve your issue but "raise your blood pressure".

Whenever a malfunction or misfire occurs during any shooting competition, remember the first Priority at hand is keeping your muzzle pointed downrange in a SAFE state and the second thing to remember is handling the handgun SAFELY to avoid any harm to you, your R.O. or other competitors.

Check back soon for more GSSF Tips and "shoot safely" while having fun.

Thank you,
Bobby Carver
BCarver is offline   Reply With Quote