View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 23:08   #2
CarlosDJackal

Two weeks ago I received an e-mail informing me that I was accepted into a cohort MBA program. Within an hour, I also received a phone call from the VA Army National Guard informing me that they are in need of personnel to volunteer for Active duty in Afghanistan. I spent Easter weekend thinking about this.

The following Monday morning, I went and saw the Recruiter and told him that I would like to go ahead and volunteer as an Infantryman (11B) for deployment. Unfortunately, my Hyper-active Thyroid (Hyperthyroidism) permanently disqualifies me for military service.

I have very mixed feelings about this. I wish I was going with the boys - I miss the comaraderie that can only be experienced in a military unit. But at the same time, I also felt very relieved that I do not have to put my life on pause, nor will I have to.

I trully wish they have waivers for my condition, but it doesn't look like it. I guess I will just have to settle with serving my community as a Volunteer Deputy and pray for my fellow Soldiers who will be going into harm's way.

Although I am also considering applying for a stint over there with Blackwater as one of their contract Security.
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote