Thread: Gmail
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 17:08   #19
Wadely
not a member

I've had my Gmail account since Monday (got the invite from a friend that I know IRL). I've been using it ever since and it's great.

The interface is really nifty, much more like an application than a web page. It doesn't have that "waiting for the web page to load" feel as you click through your emails. Don't knock it until you try it.

The ads are not scattered on the page OR in your inbox. They appear on the side of the screen just like when you do a Google search. It's MUCH less annoying to me than Hotmail's ad system and almost every site you go to nowadays tracs your useage for ads, it's not like this is a new thing. They aren't "reading" your mail. It's just some sort of script that say "hey this dude's got alot of emails with the words 'car' and 'broken' in it. I think I'll show him ads for GM and Ford". Some of you guys are WAY too paranoid.

Prism - How long until I start getting invites to hand out? Does something trigger them? I've noticed that some people get a lot more to hand out than others do. I've heard it's useage based, so I have .. ahem .. signed myself up for a lot of (legit) newsletters and news site notifications. I must be getting 150 emails a day from CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc with news articles in them. On top of that I have been using it for all my actual email communications and, as I said above, I really do like it.

Last edited by Wadely; 06-23-2004 at 17:10..
Wadely is offline   Reply With Quote