View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 17:35   #21
G20man32904
Deceased

FT,
I hear ya
Let me try to get you some answers.
As far as smell, well that comes from things like brands of food, type of shampoo used, how often, etc. Bottom line, feed good quality food, (I tell people, "if you can buy it in a grocery store, you can do better"). Shampoo's same thing, stay away from Hartz, stick with middle of the road type products from a pet store and nothing too harsh. What I use, I can bathe my dog weekly and it wont hurt him. Some of the stronger shampoos you can't do that and will cause itching and flaking of the skin. I would also stick with a short hair breed or any breed that has to get groomed (clipped). Schnauzers, Cockapoo's, Poodle's, Jack Russell's, etc.

Quote:
any breed better/worse around loud noises
Ok I know I will get flamed for this, (but that's ok) but here goes.
Look for a stable dog. While looking at puppies drop some keys around them and if goes ok, work up to louder noises from a distance going up to a portable type boat horn at say 40 ft. What you are looking for is a non-reaction. Not necessarily disinterest but not running away cowering with tail embedded in its stomach and not aggressive. Somewhere in the middle.
Here is the where the flames will come. Dogs do not "turn" on their masters ever. This is my professional opinion backed up by actual experience working with dogs and owners. Aggressive dogs push their Alpha to see who is in charge and to see if they can "win" some dominance. If they do "win" AND the owner tries to get the dog to do something that they donít want to do, the dog will usually give a warning snap or bite. However in my experience the dog has given many clues before this incident happens.

Quote:
Has a police dog ever been known to lose it and turn on his master during a ruckus or gunfight?
I am sure this has happened somewhere at sometime, but I seriously would not worry about it.
These working dogs spend the first 2 years of their lives learning their jobs and most perform flawlessly. If you are thinking about getting a "high speed" type of working dog, then you too will have hundreds of hours of training ahead of you and will learn how to handle your dog in all kinds of scenerios.
Quote:
Or, not be able to be healed if attacking a BG?
This is referred to as the "out" command. In professional type "high speed" dogs, working this is a double edged sword. If the out isn't worked enough or properly the dog will not want to out properly. If it is overworked, the dogs willingness to bite will be diminished.
Again this is only the working type dogs from say you local K-9 program. If you are talking about going to your local breeder and picking up a Rott or GSD from a show dog background dont worry about it. Again in my experience, most of these dogs will NOT bite an intruder... (nomex on)
Clients would tell me all the time "oh my dog will protect me if something were to happen". I would say ok lets try it and put the bite suit on and walk into the house unannounced (to the dog) on the next lesson and start yelling and screaming. Bottom line I never had a dog take a serious bite yet. Because that takes training by a professional trainer and time. I would tell most people use your dog as an alarm and teach him that the leave blowing across the yard is not a threat but the guy sneaking around the front door is!! It wont be long before the dog can distinguish someone walking down the sidewalk and someone jiggling your door handle!!
I hope this helps you out and feel free to pm me for more info.
I dont want to hijack this thread anymore than I have...;f