View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 21:25   #29
BCarver
CLM Number 72
Charter Lifetime Member

GSSF Tip #26-35

In an effort to complete the GSSF Tips section, a new tip is being provided.

GSSF tip #26 hosted by Bobby Carver

What's the best method to use for the "new" GSSF start position?

I have received many emails from GSSF competitors asking me this question. In an effort to summarize some of the tips that I have shared with others, I'll list what I believe are the some important principles to consider using the new start position.

The new start position is defined as, "firearm held in hands with muzzle pointed into berm, no higher than parallel to the ground or lower with the competitor's elbows touching rib cage."

The former starting position, with firearm lowered at a 45 degree angle, allowed the shooter to lock in their shooting arm and shoulders so that whenever you were given the start signal, you could easily raise the muzzle and you were locked into the your shooting position. The "new" start position may not allow you to lock in until you have extended your arms and locked in your elbow. I recommend the following:

1. When you are given the command to "take a sight picture with an unloaded weapon", take that opportunity to position your feet and using the "new" start position, push the firearm toward the first target that you will shoot and then swing to the last target. If you feel that you are strained, reposition your feet to allow a stable shooting position on the last target.

2. Make sure that your grip is stable and that your trigger finger is outside the trigger bar with easy access to the trigger as soon as you are given the start signal and your firearm is on target.

3. Look at the target, where you want to shoot and remain looking at that spot on the target, while you are resuming your start position.

4. Since you can hold the firearm muzzle parallel to the ground, you may find that position will allow you to smoothly push your elbows from your side forward to the first target.

You may find that the "new" start position is a smoother more consistent start method than previously used. After some practice and "muscle memory", you will successfully execute a quick and accurate first shot.

I'll look forward to seein you on the range,
Bobby Carver
"Home of the CARVER Mount"
www.bb-enterprise.biz
BCarver is offline   Reply With Quote