Thread: CW help...
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 07:43   #5
40SX

Code

Back in 1999 I already passed my general theory tast and was sitting there at the table with headphones on ready to take my 13 WPM test. When I was told I passed it I was probably the happiest person alive just then. After a couple of months I passes my advanced test in front of a VEC team down in Maryland. A couple of months latter I went for my Extra theory and passed that.

Now here comes the interesting part, I needed my 20 WPM to be able to get my Extra class ticket. I wanted it so bad I could taste it. I dedicated at least 2 hours a day listening to code, trying to copy different tests, such as those on QRZ.com. I have never failed any of my ham tests till it came to my 20WPM tests. The first time I sat there he started the tape and my mouth just hung open, I don't think I copied a single word. It took 4 attempts, but I finally did it with a 9 out of 10 score.

My point being if you want something bad enough, you will have the fortitude to do it. Don't be afraid to go there to simply find out what it's all about. If you don't make it the first time, you will have valuable insights on how the test will be given. I do know back then that they had 3 different tests for each code class, I have no idea what they do now for just the 5WPM. It takes dedication and commitment. By the way after I passed my 20WPM, I never used code again. YMMV
Good luck, Dennis