View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 16:25   #85
G20man32904
Deceased

Quote:
Originally posted by GAdobemom
Well this could be long and drawn out so please bear with me. I've been training for over 20 years but never had this problem before. I feel I have an idea but I need to pick ya'lls brains. Let's begin with a background of, I have 3 dogs (2)11yr. old mini schnauzers-spayed & neutered, and a 10 month old intact male doberman. Before anyone suggests neutering the dobe it can't happen at this time as he is being shown in the breed ring.
OK to the problem it would be the baby dobe. He is having a peeing problem as in let's smell the females butt and then pee on the floor or sneak in the living room and pee on the table and the ultimate stand and pee on my sons leg as we all were watching.
Now my son is 21yrs. old and probably disciplines the dobe more than anyone. Not to say that I don't as I'm the one who feeds and trains him. My male schnauzer was intact and used for breeding for 7 years and never had this problem but I'm now worried that he and the dobe might start a peeing contest. I most certianly don't want this.
OK here is what I'm thinking maybe the dobe is now like a teenager so he is checking out the waters as in trying to be alpha or when peeing on my son a sign of disrespect or a combo of both. When he peed on my son he knew he did wrong as he took off and my son caught him put the leash on him and took him straight outside and then put him into his crate for a well deserved time out so to speak.
I was thinking of a male belly band but I know that is not the answer it would be just a quick fix and only while wearing it(if he even would-I could see him tearing it off). I hope that this is just an adolescent phase but let me know if I'm on the right track and what suggestions might help.
Deuce your landshark isn't much older did he try anything like this and is he neutered? Everyone thinks that neutering is the answer for everything and I will admit it would help but not at this time. He comes from a line that has beauty as well as brains and I'm trying out all the avenues at this time.
Thanks for reading all of this and for any input.
GAdobemom,
Certainly sounds like an Alpha wanna-be testing the waters. Here is what I would do if I were you. Put a leash and metal choker (super thin show type links) high up on his neck and tie the other end to my belt loop. Walk him tirelessly around the females in the house, the moment he even thinks about lifting his leg or squatting correct him with a ballistic sized NO!!!! then a good 10minute down stay exactly in that spot. You know from previous training timing is everything. If he pees once and gets away with it he will do it over and over but corrected three to four times in a timely fashion (you know what I mean, like right freakin now, the world stops!!). This teenage behavior is over. Also time-outs dont really work for dogs, they dont get seperated from the pack for any reason other than complete banishment. The best timeout you can give your dog is a 30 minute down stay, after it has learned its commands like clockwork.

Good luck with your teenager and whatever you do, dont give him the keys to the car!!!;f ;f ;f
If you need more help or something is fuzzy please let me know and I will go farther into detail. I try not to ramble...;g