View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 19:48   #16
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

As a licensed Ham for 20 years, I would like to point out one common misconception about radio moding. First, I'd like to say that it is certainly very important to respect the band plans that are in place and there are indeed many rules and regulations that govern the use of the spectrum that MUST be honored, but in regards to moding the word "illegal" is thrown around way to liberally. It is not illegal to discuss radio mods. In most cases, it is not even illegal to perform mods that allow out of band RX/TX (cell phone frequencies are a BIG NO-NO). It is only illegal to actually use the equipment outside the range that it has been type accepted for. Even then there is one VERY IMPORTANT exception, during an emergency you are allowed to use any frequency in any manner required in order to make contact and get help. This is an often overlooked exception and is the reason why the FCC doesn't shutdown the numerous mod databases that exist out there on the internet.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote