Thread: Roadblocks???
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 07:58   #13
OXCOPS

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjack
Just hand him your DL.

A: Your in your car, you don't have to have a CCP to CC in your car.

B: The law says when requested (the permit, not your DL) by the LEO, like PARAGON said, and like he said, its not required by law.

C: Generally, he/she couldn't care less.

ETA:

D: Letting him know you have a gun without him asking wouldn't make me feel better. Ignorance is bliss.

E: In the 23 times I have interacted with an LEO on a traffic stop (19 in MS) and 2 road blocks I have had the pleasure of traveling through, a grand total of 0 have asked about guns/weapons, 0 times I volunteered.
How the courts will interpret the law is more important, in most cases, than what the law states. This one is written vaguely and can be taken both ways. Some say that you have to have a permit to carry a weapon ON YOUR PERSON, even in a vehicle. However, if you take it out of the holster and put it on the seat, you don't. Others thing that because you are in the vehicle, you don't need one at all.

Same thing for the presentation of the permit along with your DL. Some say yes, some say no. If you DO present it, you are in compliance IF the "yes" people are right. However, if you don't, you run the risk of losing it, or facing charges, if the court is run by a "yes" man.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but it doesn't matter what YOU (or I) think the law reads. It matters what the courts have said it means. And again, I have talked to several members of the legal community (lawyers, judges, etc) who feel the law requires you to present it along with your DL. Are they right? Who knows. Do you have the disposable funds to fight a legal fight to prove they are? That's up to you. Presenting your permit would eliminate all of that hassle up front.
OXCOPS is offline   Reply With Quote