View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 01:42   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

The more I hear Kyle Hepfer's statements, the happier I am he's in a position of authority in the DNR.

Mr. Hepfer has more common sense than any 100 random politicians in this state. Although, I'm not sure his research of the last 10yrs is accurate. Anyone remember the incident at Marion County Fish and Game where the 1911 double fired, and a .45 shell hit a car in Kroger's parking lot.

Regardless... I'm glad to have him on our side.

IGF

--------------------------------------------------------
April 18, 2007

Council panel puts off vote on gun-firing ban
Proposal's author tells 150 foes that delay allows time to digest changes to the plan

A large crowd of gun rights supporters at a hearing Tuesday night voiced their opposition to a proposal restricting the firing of weapons in Marion County.

A City-County Council panel heard about two hours of testimony but postponed a vote until its next meeting on May 22. The committee voted 5-3 against an effort to immediately strike the proposal. All three Republicans voted to kill it, but all five Democrats voted to continue the debate.

In a show of hands among the crowd of about 150 people, not one person supported the measure. Nearly all of the speakers said they were hunters and National Rifle Association members, and many voiced some displeasure with the decision to put off the vote.

Angela Mansfield, the author of Proposal 174, said she wanted time for people to digest the changes she had made since the original plan drew heated opposition. Her goal, she said, never has been to infringe on constitutional rights to buy or own a weapon. Instead, she said the ordinance aims to ban people from target practice or celebratory gunfire that endangers residential neighborhoods.

"I recognize that this does not deal with criminals who don't care about the laws," Mansfield said. "There are a lot of people in our community using bad judgment about where they shoot. This gives law enforcement another tool."

She altered the original proposal so that county residents could lawfully shoot on 5 acres of private property, down from 15 acres in the original proposal. She also removed a requirement to obtain a permit from police, which could cost $100.

Still, the changes did not stop opponents from criticizing what they considered an infringement on their personal freedom.

The opinion given by Kyle Hupfer, the former director of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, summed up many of the comments. He said his research did not turn up a single hunting or target-shooting accident in the county in more than a decade.

"To take away rights from people seems short-sighted," Hupfer said. "Let's enforce the laws on the books, not penalize the legal shooters."
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote