View Single Post
Old 08-09-2002, 18:37   #2
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Hey, Orsectrain--

I am down the pike a ways near Myrtle Creek; and I can tell you that the ban on hounds and baiting has left us with very little spare room....the bears hereabouts are THICK.

I don't think you'd like the coast range hunting as much as the Old Cascade area, or even just around Eugene, Springfield, Salem...those back roads lead to many interesting areas, no? Where there are berries, you'll find bears.

And cats. Cougars are just as populous, but even more shy. I avoid coast-range hunting for dangerous species just because I don't want to be up to my wazoo in rain-forest growth with a yet-unseen, 200 lb salivating carnivore chasing me around the brush. Stuff gets too thick! Shots are typically short of the and quick running variety.

Unless, of course, you can find a recent burn...a good burnt swath in dense brush usually makes for great hunting, esp. along the edges dusk & dawn. Glass from the highest available point in range of a promising game trail, and hunker doen for a sit....best way to hunt ever invented, IMHO!! Especially for blacktails.

Well, let us know how the planning goes...I'll be after an elk and a bear this year...Fiancee is in love with the idea of the crackling fire in the fireplace, and champagne (and HER) on the bearskin rug in front of the hearth....! WHOOOHOOOO!! Ever heard of a better reason to go hunting?!?

All that and a big, juicy rack of Bear ribs,

FstVFR

Ps. Post a PM to me if you want to hook up for a shoot/hunt soon.
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote