View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:57   #18
Texas_XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallew View Post
Crayons or other things mentioned to fill the lettering will work. Right up until you put it in the oven. THEN it will melt all over that nice new paint job.
That thought occured to me about 1 hr after I posted..

Quote:
And unless you live alone, have a REALLY understanding wife, or are looking to get divorced, DO NOT USE the same oven that your wife cooks your meals in. Slight a chance as it is, you can literally have gasses come off the paint as it's drying in the oven that can be transfered to food your wife puts in the oven later. Don't ask. Personal experience. Cost me a new oven for my wife. And then a new stove top. And then a new refrigerator.

But this IS an excellent way to refinish a firearm. Or almost any other metal you wish to do this to.
I just bought all that a year ago and have NO intentions of replacing any of it for at least 5 yrs. I was thinking of an old toaster over since it is just a slide. I may have to entend the bake time some but that's better than a $750 new stove/range!

Quote:
A couple of items. You can ALSO use 'BBQ Grill' paint - it's good to at least 1200, though your color choices are pretty limited. I buy mine at Lowes in really large cans for like $3 -$4 each, but it has been a while. I tend to buy things in large quantities so I don't have to keep going back.
I was wondering about the longitivity of this, it will see a lot of holstering and I don't want to have to re-do it every 2 months.
Texas_XD is offline   Reply With Quote