Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:37   #1
dudester

So I installed the Siderlock...

I have had it on my G26 for a couple of weeks now and thought I would share some of my thoughts...

First let me say that I had mixed feelings about this doo-hickey even after I installed it. My mind was pretty much set on "the safety is between your ears" and "don't pull the trigger" etc. but my lovely wife asked me to try this "for her" to give her peace of mind when we are both handling the gun or for when I pack the gun in an unorthodox way (i.e. without a holster). She is very used to guns with safeties and so am I even though we both use and love the Glock and the M&P without the external safeties. I don't know if that makes sense but anyway, I decided to give the thing a try and figured if it sucked or I felt that it would hinder me in any way during training I would can it faster than a week old newspaper. So without further ado, here we go:

Installation -

The instructions that come with the kit are kind of lame and leave out some important details. Most importantly - you WILL damage or destroy your original trigger removing it from the trigger bar. It can be gotten around if you go slow and drill a tiny hole in the other side of the trigger to get the pin out but again, there is nothing in the instructions about this. After you get the gun apart and remove the original trigger from the bar you have to re-insert the trigger bar assembly and then attach the new trigger to the old trigger bar. It's a little trickier than it looks but once you get everything lined up it's a snap. Note that the new trigger body itslef is slightly larger than the stock trigger so if you ever need to remove the trigger assembly after installing the Siderlock you will have to detach the trigger first. This can be a minor or a major annoyance depending on how often you need to remove your trigger assembly. For me it is not a problem. I also put a couple of dots of super glue on the ends of the pin holes to make sure the pins dont work loose. I don't know if this is necessary but it makes me feel better and can be easily undone if I choose to do so later. All in all it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish. I am no gunsmith and this is my first Glock so some of that time was figuring out how to remove the trigger assembly from the gun. Otherwise I am pretty skilled with hand tools and I would rate the exercise as medium difficulty. That said, if you have any doubts about being able to do this take it to a 'smith. He or she should be able to do it without breaking a sweat or your wallet.

Function -

It's very simple to use and does not affect the normal operation of the trigger with the safety disengaged. In fact, I like the smoothness of the Siderlock trigger more than the stock serrated trigger it replaced. The thing I like best about the device is that it gives me a choice. I like to keep the gun ready with one in the chamber and I can just flick the safety and leave it on when I throw it in my bag or pack and not have to worry something catching the trigger while moving about and causing an AD. When I carry it on my person in a holster I can just flick the safety off before I holster the gun and it's ready to go just as if it weren't there. Even if I forgot to disengage the safety it only takes a millisecond to disengage and is simple enough to check while you draw if you practice enough with it (yes, I have been practicing with it). As I said, I also like the trigger that comes with it. It's very smooth and has a postive natural feel to it with the safety disengaged. With the safety engaged there is no way to pull the trigger even if you forcefully pull on it. You will probably damage the gun's frame before you damage the trigger and it would take a mighty hefty pull to do that. Bottom line, you are not pulling the trigger accidentally or otherwise while the safety is engaged. The safety actuator botton itself is some kind of alloy and has a very positive feel to it. It's hard enough that it won't get depressed with a glacing touch yet easy enough to disengage with a touch of your index finger. It is very easy to make this a fluid motion when you are ready to fire and the button disengages with a positive click that tells you you are ready to rock and roll. One thing I have heard from some detractors of this device is they say that it's dangerous to have to push a button located on the trigger. After actually using the thing I will say that the design of the trigger and the button make it very positive from a tactile point of view and it is very easy to work with a minimum of fumbling. You are pushing the button sideways so you are not moving the the trigger forward or backward and the way the Glock trigger works with the built-in trigger safety, it is very difficult if not impossible to pull the trigger while working the safety button. I have tried to make this happen with the gun unloaded and I could not do it. My guess is that this argument is mostly made by folks who have never seen or used the Siderlock in person. In any case this is only my opinion and others may still disagree on this point. I am satisfied and confident that I can safely operate the device without accidentally pulling the trigger. YMMV.

Summary -

All in all it's a very nice addition to the Glock. Could I live without it if I had to? Sure, but that's the cool thing IMHO...I now have the choice. I don't know if it will stay on the gun forvever but the bottom line for me is that it does what I wanted it to do and is very unobtrusive and works very well and it gives me some piece of mind in those situations where I felt like I needed an extra layer of safety.

Now I know some of you guys like to flame away on stuff like this and that's fine, I totally understand not wanting to have this device on YOUR Glock and I wholeheartedly support you. All I ask is that instead of posting negativity in this thread, please change the channel to another thread or start your own thread about how Glocks are perfect without additional safeties etc. This review is for the folks who are interested in this device and considering purchasing one.

Stay safe out there and God bless.
-Frank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:40   #2
passive101

Isn't this the do hikky that has already broken on some people where the lock becomes loose and moves back and forth with little effort or by shaking the gun or having it hit against an object?

If you like it and it works for you that is cool
passive101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54   #3
dudester

Hmm, I haven't heard that but if it happens to me it will be off my gun just as fast as it went on.

Do you have a link to this information?

Last edited by dudester; 04-28-2009 at 09:06..
dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43   #4
passive101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudester View Post
Hmm, I haven't heard that but if it happens to me it will be off my gun just as fast as it went on.

Do you have a link to this information?

I only remember reading somewhere that the pin came loose.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:46   #5
voyager4520
-----

Um, Safe-T-Blok anyone?
http://www.glockworld.com/content.aspx?Ckey=gwo_edit

You can adjust the retention strength on it too.

Last edited by voyager4520; 04-28-2009 at 10:52..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:46   #6
passive101

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
Pretty much the same thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 14:37   #7
packin45

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
Um, Safe-T-Blok anyone?
http://www.glockworld.com/content.aspx?Ckey=gwo_edit

You can adjust the retention strength on it too.

http://thegunzone.com/glock/stb.html

Um, not in this lifetime, thanks.
Well, you have to remember that all Glocks defeat airport security, are fully automatic, and armor piercing, all while not having any metal parts. They probably are even heat-seeking, and can curve bullets around corners, pre-set to instantly murder innocent people.
G17, G21, Beretta 92F
packin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08   #8
jmb79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudester View Post
Ibut my lovely wife asked me to try this "for her" to give her peace of mind when we are both handling the gun or for when I pack the gun in an unorthodox way (i.e. without a holster). -Frank
Well there are your two mistakes.

First, you "peace of mind" is not good when handling guns. I don't mean you should be fearful of them but you should never rely on the a safety device. If you follow the four rules, you don't need it and if you think you need because you aren't following the four rules, you should own a gun. Period.

Second, you "pack" the gun without a holster? Do you mean to say that you carry the pistol in public without a holster? This is an absolutely foolish thing to do, regardless of whether you have the b.s. extra safety. I guess the same mentality that keeps you from seeing why it's a bad idea to carry w/o a holster is same mentality that thinks adding the sidelock solvers the problem.

You asked for it, you got it.
jmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23   #9
pspablo

If it works as advertised.. then it's all good. Happy wife = happy life. Please share how it holds up over time.
pspablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 17:40   #10
texas 48
Gold Membership
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspablo View Post
If it works as advertised.. then it's all good. Happy wife = happy life. Please share how it holds up over time.
I have had 2 installed on Glocks. Both guns had to be replaced due to slide problems.

The siderlock geometry is different than the glock trigger. Slide a could not be put back on the frame until the trigger was repositioned in the cocked position. In my opinion this forced the slide up at a muzzle down angle forcing the rear of the slide up when recoiling putting additional stresses on the rails and slide was out of alignment. This casued peening on the barrel chamber lugs of gun 1 and in the second resulted in gouging the front of the frame and caused and ultimately resulted in the web between the Barrel opening and the recoil spring opening to crack.

This is my opinion for the failures becasue the trigger was the only not stock items in both glocks and they occured within 500 rounds after installation. The 1st Glock had a few thousand rounds thru it before installation but the second was brand new and only 500 rounds Thru it before it failed Both failures occured within 11 months of each other . To coincidental for me tobelieve it wa any thing else but the siderlock. IMHO. Take it for what it is worth.
texas 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28   #11
9jeeps
Fogey

FWIW, I've been interested in this device for reasons of my own. Dudester, gave me a good review.

The other two posters only gave me excrement. Ymmv.
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41   #12
NAS T MAG

Good review. I've had these on my G19, G26 & G30SF and never had a problem. I had less of an issue installing them than you and I believe you could use the orginal trigger and return to stock. Just seal the hole on the one side where the pin was ejected.

Sights, Optics and Lasers
NAS T MAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:58   #13
LancerV

To me it sounds like a way to create more ND's
LancerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24   #14
literaltrance
H&K All The Way

I hope you don't take this post as negative. I fully respect the fact that it's your firearm and you can see to it however you wish so long as no one's getting unlawfully shot.

When I purchased my Glock, it didn't take long for me to realize the tenets of firearm handling are the ONLY thing which will prevent accidental discharge. It is true to say these same tenets should be practiced on all firearms regardless of whether or not they have a safety. None is more important than another and all must be followed at all times for them to be effective:

-always check and clear a firearm whenever it is handled
-keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction unless you intend to shoot
-never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to fire

This safety violates the third tenet and thus greatly reduces my confidence in it or desire to have it. It's not a Glock thing and it's not a personal thing. In my eyes it's breaking one of the cardinal rules of firearm safety. If this device was installed to satisfy your wife, I humbly and respectfully suggest you and your wife go over the basics of firearm safety thoroughly. At least that's what I would do.

Please don't take this as negative, I just think this device could lead to tragedy. Good luck with it if you are set on keeping it.
Thompson Auto-Ord 1911
:fist::2gun::fist:
literaltrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 14:06   #15
NAS T MAG

With all due respect, posts 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 do not have any knowledge of this product. Why respond when you really don't have the facts?

This is not even close to the Saf-T-Blok. How many of you use a Smart Carry? Probably the best concealment holster on the market, but I want a safety on any Glock I carry in it.

Like the OP said. You can use it if you want to, but you don't have to. I just don't get some of these responses. It's like a lot of villages are looking for some lost residents.
NAS T MAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 14:55   #16
packin45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS T MAG View Post

Like the OP said. You can use it if you want to, but you don't have to. I just don't get some of these responses. It's like a lot of villages are looking for some lost residents.
I think what those guys were referring to was the fact that you have to touch the Siderlock trigger in order to engage the safety. Having to touch the trigger of any loaded weapon, when it's not on target and ready to fire, makes me pretty squeamish...safety or no safety. I think they're of the same opinion.

I was taught that the safety button is only there to lessen the chance of a ND, anyway, and not something to rely on. On the rare occasion I feel the need to mexican carry my Glock, I clear the chamber....a gun with a cold chamber is better than no gun at all, I guess.

I'm glad the Siderlock works well for you guys, though.
Well, you have to remember that all Glocks defeat airport security, are fully automatic, and armor piercing, all while not having any metal parts. They probably are even heat-seeking, and can curve bullets around corners, pre-set to instantly murder innocent people.
G17, G21, Beretta 92F
packin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 15:38   #17
jtc424

[QUOTE=NAS T MAG;12839505]

How many of you use a Smart Carry? Probably the best concealment holster on the market, but I want a safety on any Glock I carry in it.

Maybe you would classify the Smart Carry as the Best concealment holster the market, but it doesn't mean the thing is efficient IMO. I had one, and the difficulty alone to take a wiz with that thing on was enough for me to get rid of it.
Old 04-28-2009, 15:39   #18
jtc424

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS T MAG View Post
With all due respect, posts 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 do not have any knowledge of this product. Why respond when you really don't have the facts?

This is not even close to the Saf-T-Blok. How many of you use a Smart Carry? Probably the best concealment holster on the market, but I want a safety on any Glock I carry in it.

Maybe you would classify the Smart Carry as the Best concealment holster the market, but it doesn't mean the thing is efficient IMO. I had one, and the difficulty alone to take a wiz with that thing on was enough for me to get rid of it.
Old 04-28-2009, 14:52   #19
Bayliss

Great review. I've been thinking about getting some Siderlocks, and this review was very helpful. Thanks.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 15:07   #20
DMCA

Thank you for an informative review of an interesting addition.

Prior to owning Glocks and other autoloaders, all of my semi auto pistols were Sig, with the decocker function. I was wed to the notion of a DA trigger pull if I had a round in the chamber.

Having one 1911 and some other pistols with manual safeties, I also understood the notion of C&L if a round was in the chamber. Glocks were the last brand I purchased and that was a new trigger experience.

If I carried though, my choice would be a Glock with a round in the chamber. I don't chamber a round at home because my opinion is that if awakened from a deep sleep, I better have something alerting me other than the BG at the foot of my bed!

It appears the device you mention takes all of the attributes of a Glock and adds a 1911 or manual type saftey, which can be readily disengaged. I don't think it's good or bad on it's own, but if it provides psychic encouragement to the gun owner / user and the utility of the gun its not diminished, then it's worthwhile.
DMCA is offline   Reply With Quote