Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:36   #1
mr2trout

Threat to Ranges in Bartow County

Hey, I just got this notice from Georgia Carry.....

"Joe Harris of Creekside Firing Range found out that Bartow County Planning Commission has a new amendment that would significantly restrict and potentially shut down the operation of gun ranges in Bartow County. This amendment would affect Adairsville Range and Barnesley Gardens ranges as well. Included in the amendment are controls on the hours of operation, restrictions on the rates of fire, increased acreage requirements, and prohibition on personal protection and tactical types of training. The hearing is THIS Monday June 1 at 6PM at 135 West Cherokee Avenue, Cartersville, GA 30120 ( 770 387-5007 )

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...2&ie=UTF8&z=17

Joe has asked for our help to fill the hearing room with folks wearing Guns Save Lives buttons. If you have questions, please feel free to contact Joe at 770-634-2144 or playballharris03@aol.com

Here is a news story pertaining to this restrictive range ordinance.
"They're targeting three to four businesses," he said. "They're trying to shut us down. There's no question about it ... They're trying to impose restrictions to where nobody can stay open.

"I've conformed to every law Bartow County told me to conform to. All these people from the county approved [my range] and now they want to change it."

Let's show up Monday evening and support the range owners. Without a place to train, the right to bear arms becomes meaningless.
www.GeorgiaCarry.Org"
mr2trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 13:14   #2
mr2trout

I just got this notice from GCO.....

June 2, 2009
Dear GCO Member,
Last night in Bartow County, Good News, at least initially. There are two meetings. Last night was the Planning Commission. Wednesday, the county commissioner decides whether to accept the Planning Commission's recommendation. The following is from GCO's Treasurer, Mike Menkus, who was there to pass out Guns Save Lives buttons and assist with speaking to the Planning Commission, which had a standing room only crowd spilling out into the hallway last night.
Bartow County - Round 1 Victory - Now Round 2 (Wed - 10AM)
------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for turning out in a large crowd last night! As a result, the Planning Commission unanimously recommended to deny the zoning changes that would close all of the ranges in Bartow County. Now their recommendation goes before Bartow County's Sole Commissioner Clarence Brown. He has the ability to ignore the recommendation and enact the zoning ordinance.
Sole Commissioner Clarence Brown will be holding a hearing THIS Wednesday (tomorrow) at 10AM at 135 West Cherokee Avenue Cartersville, Ga. 30120. If you can not attend the hearing, please take a little bit of time to contact Sole Commissioner Clarence Brown and express your support for the Bartow County ranges and what they personally mean to you.
Sole Commissioner Clarence Brown's office number is 770-387-5030 and his fax 770-387-5023.
As always, make sure to put extra effort into making your contact with Commissioner Brown polite and reasoned.
Monday night's meeting was packed. People were lined up 2 deep along the walls, 4 deep in the back, and still there were folks in the hallway that wanted in. 90% were pro-Liberty.
The opposition played up the noise aspect of the dispute. A couple of speakers mentioned fearing that their kids would be hit by a stray bullet. Predominately it was typical Million Mom Marcher ranting, including one lady who screamed in disgust at so many gun owners attending the meeting.
The good guys mentioned that the range is a safe place to shoot, offers opportunities for training unavailable elswhere, enhances public safety by training LEO/Mil and GFL's, is a safe alternative to private property ranges, is good for the economy, and is wholesome fun for families. Range owner Joe Harris reinforced the point that he has complied with and went beyond every rule that the County has. Joe Harris, Creekside, and other range owners indicated that upon passage of the ordinance, they would have to shut down as the cost of compliance is not achievable.
In closing the meeting, the Chairman complemented the crowd on our good Behavior (that made a positive impression). Then rest of the commission tried to prove that they weren't truly anti-gun .... "I own a gun" ... "I'm a member of the NRA", etc.
All in all, a successful day. Now for the next step, please contact Commissioner Brown in support of the ranges of Bartow County.
It is very encouraging to see what a difference can be made when many people gather together for a cause, but this struggle in Bartow County is not yet over.
Here is a news article about the meeting. From the article:
The unanimous vote came after a public hearing that lasted almost two hours in front of a standing-room-only crowd that spilled out from the hearing room into the hall.
. . .
Sporting orange buttons that read, "Guns Save Lives," speakers against the amendment touted the safety record of Creekside Firing Range. The facility, which is used to train and allow practice for Boy Scout troops, residents, competitive shooters, law enforcement and the military, was opened several years ago. It was described by one speaker, Steve Dodson, as one of the "safest I've ever seen."

mr2trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 15:03   #3
armsvault
ArmsVault

Any updates with regard to how Commissioner Brown handled this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
armsvault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 14:58   #4
lockz20

harris needs to be sht down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2trout View Post
Hey, I just got this notice from Georgia Carry.....

"Joe Harris of Creekside Firing Range found out that Bartow County Planning Commission has a new amendment that would significantly restrict and potentially shut down the operation of gun ranges in Bartow County. This amendment would affect Adairsville Range and Barnesley Gardens ranges as well. Included in the amendment are controls on the hours of operation, restrictions on the rates of fire, increased acreage requirements, and prohibition on personal protection and tactical types of training. The hearing is THIS Monday June 1 at 6PM at 135 West Cherokee Avenue, Cartersville, GA 30120 ( 770 387-5007 )

[URL]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=135+West+Cherokee+Avenue,+Suite+135,+Cartersville+ga&sll=37.370 157,-95.712891&sspn=50.526206,70.664062&ie=UTF8&z=17[/URL]

Joe has asked for our help to fill the hearing room with folks wearing Guns Save Lives buttons. If you have questions, please feel free to contact Joe at 770-634-2144 or [EMAIL="playballharris03@aol.com"]playballharris03@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://www.daily-tribune.com/index.cfm?event=news.view&id=85053922-19B9-E2E2-67A255AF2CCE0E26"]Here is a news story pertaining to this restrictive range ordinance[/URL].
"They're targeting three to four businesses," he said. "They're trying to shut us down. There's no question about it ... They're trying to impose restrictions to where nobody can stay open.

"I've conformed to every law Bartow County told me to conform to. All these people from the county approved [my range] and now they want to change it."

Let's show up Monday evening and support the range owners. Without a place to train, the right to bear arms becomes meaningless.
[URL="http://www.georgiacarry.org/"]www.GeorgiaCarry.Org[/URL]"

creekside needs to be shutdown, it is not safe and is to exspensive. I hate it for adairsville because he has a good place and treats people alot better than creekside
lockz20 is offline   Reply With Quote