Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:28   #1
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

SOLO 1000 for 9mm 125gr LRN

Hello Folks,

I am having trouble finding a Minor Power Factor load for a 125gr Lead Round Nose 9mm bullet using SOLO 1000.

Does anyone here have a load that would produce 125PF to 130PF out of a 4.25" barrel that they don't mind sharing?

Thanks!
Cy
Old 07-29-2009, 14:25   #2
Colorado4Wheel

I use 4.2 grs with Jacketed RN. 1.130 OAL. You coming to the Pueblo Match on the 9th?
Old 07-29-2009, 16:24   #3
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Hi Steve,

Oh yes I plan on being there! The Pueblo matches are always fun and challenging so we try not to miss that one (even though they are the farthest ones from home).

Thank you for sharing your load info. I have seen reloaders using anything from 3.6gr to 4.3gr of Solo 1000 with 124/125gr bullets. I know that I need to chrono any new loads I make but I have been looking to narrow my start load to within a few decimals of a grain.

Since you are using FMJ bullets and I am using LRN, I think that I will reduce the load by 12% or 15% and start experimenting at 3.5gr (and load up from there). I am hoping to end up with a load that gets me somewhere in the neighborhood of 130PF to 132PF.

Once again, Thank You!
Cy
Old 07-29-2009, 17:03   #4
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
Hi Steve,

Oh yes I plan on being there! The Pueblo matches are always fun and challenging so we try not to miss that one (even though they are the farthest ones from home).

Thank you for sharing your load info. I have seen reloaders using anything from 3.6gr to 4.3gr of Solo 1000 with 124/125gr bullets. I know that I need to chrono any new loads I make but I have been looking to narrow my start load to within a few decimals of a grain.

Since you are using FMJ bullets and I am using LRN, I think that I will reduce the load by 12% or 15% and start experimenting at 3.5gr (and load up from there). I am hoping to end up with a load that gets me somewhere in the neighborhood of 130PF to 132PF.

Once again, Thank You!
Cy

You may want to contact Lizard (range master/club prez) and see if he will bring/be bringing his chrono box. He did at the last match. Then you could chrono a load. I have been bugging him to do random chrono's on people and I think he's warming up to the idea a little. Probably never happen but it's nice to know your loads make PF and your not cheating by mistake.
Old 07-29-2009, 18:40   #5
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

PM sent.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:24   #6
recycooler
9-11-2001

I started my 124gr tmj's at 3.2( solo 1000) ,1.140 OAL and found that is too low and or too long,they didn't cycle well in both a glock 19,26,I bumped it up to 3.6 and shortened it up but haven't shot any of them yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
recycooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24   #7
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:

You could safely start at about 4.0 to for testing purposes to make your requirements. I know several using Solo with 9mm 124 RN and depending on the bullet are all loading 4.2 or greater with OAL of 1.130 or greater (limited by driving band).
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 13:22   #8
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
You could safely start at about 4.0 to for testing purposes to make your requirements. I know several using Solo with 9mm 124 RN and depending on the bullet are all loading 4.2 or greater with OAL of 1.130 or greater (limited by driving band).
You are right! This is what I found out: 3.9gr of SOLO 1000 behind a 125gr LRN makes PF out of a G17. I decided to bump it up a tad to 4.0gr just to make certain that any weather variation won't throw me sub-minor.

I choose to go with an OAL of 1.120 and there are no obvious signs of pressure.
Old 01-27-2010, 13:27   #9
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
You are right! This is what I found out: 3.9gr of SOLO 1000 behind a 125gr LRN makes PF out of a G17. I decided to bump it up a tad to 4.0gr just to make certain that any weather variation won't throw me sub-minor.

I choose to go with an OAL of 1.120 and there are no obvious signs of pressure.
Good deal...
As a note, I started loading 147g LFP with 3.5g at 1.130 OAL. It made PF easily but was actually IMO almost too soft Out of my G34 and accuracy was very marginal especially out beyond 20 yards. I bumped it up to 3.7g and it's much...much better.
&
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 20:14   #10
coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I'm one of the several running the 4.2gr 125gr LRN in a G19/26. Runs great. I've used this for IDPA as well.

3.8gr won't cycle my G26 consitently. 4.0gr seems to just barely. So, I just run the 4.2gr.

Just started to run some CCI SSP mag primers I got cheap, too. Dropped to 4.0gr, no issue. Then, 4.1gr. Both were fine.

I was running a 147gr LTC load that sucked. I think it really needed to be bumped to 3.8gr or more, but I used up my small stash before realizing that.

Solo 1000 is an excellent single-base powder. I like it. Keeps the gun very "cool" compared to Titegroup. Smoke can be hit-and-missed basd on bullet lube, but it seems better overall than double-base powders I've used with lead.

|
|
|
|
(
/
) |
|
|
coal is offline   Reply With Quote