SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2009, 22:15   #1
drider

How are the Mossberg Maverick 88's?

Ttttttt

Last edited by drider; 12-09-2013 at 11:56..
drider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 22:22   #2
Pepiot

Great. Love mine just as much as his brother the 500. I will admit the only thing the 500 has over the 88 is safety location. Equal other than that.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:48   #3
drider

I have a question on the safety location. It's not detailed but one of my buddy has a mossberg 20' barrrel, wood stocks. Beautiful 12 guage, but the safety is broken, but the gun still functions. And my question is, what is the deal with mossberg putting the safety in different places? Would you not hesitate recommending buying this gun for self preservation, and target shooting if needed?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22   #4
Ranger_Rick

Its a functional reliable shotgun. I will say,however, if you have any intention of changing the forend (not that you need to), get a regular 500.

I believe the mav 88's forend is permanently molded to the slide action bars, so you would need to replace the whole forend tube assembly.

With the 500, you simply have to unscrew a forend nut and the forend slides off.

Rick
Old 12-05-2009, 08:16   #5
TxGun

"Would you not hesitate recommending buying this gun for self preservation, and target shooting if needed?"

Why? You learn your particular shotgun. You practice with it. Are you going to forget where the safety is? Other shotguns have their safety on the trigger guard as the Maverick does. It's common. The Mossberg 500, and the Browning BPS for another, have safeties on the top rear of the receiver. Choose the system you like best.

Last edited by TxGun; 12-05-2009 at 08:19..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 13:16   #6
awq134

Send a message via ICQ to awq134 Send a message via AIM to awq134 Send a message via MSN to awq134 Send a message via Yahoo to awq134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Rick View Post
Its a functional reliable shotgun. I will say,however, if you have any intention of changing the forend (not that you need to), get a regular 500.

I believe the mav 88's forend is permanently molded to the slide action bars, so you would need to replace the whole forend tube assembly.

With the 500, you simply have to unscrew a forend nut and the forend slides off.

Rick
I ran into this problem when i put a pistol grip forend on my 1st gen. mav. 88. You can order a new style forend 3 piece assembly if you want to put a different grip on. But i must warn you, if you order the 3 piece grip from the website you cannot put the pistol grip that's designed for the mossberg 500. The tube is too long. That being said you can order a new forend grip for a model 500 and it works perfectly. If i weren't deployed i'd take a picture of mine.

...almost forgot.

I love my Mav. 88. I've had it for about 6 years and haven't had a single problem with it. I use it on a regular basis for hunting turkey and small game. I have recently put an 18.5 inch barrel on it along with a pistol grip forend, and a collapsible butt stock for HD. I kept the 28 inch rib-vent barrel for hunting also

Last edited by awq134; 12-15-2009 at 13:33.. Reason: forgot something
awq134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 14:21   #7
aippi

For Home defense, as in some guy just broke in and has a crow bar and is rushing you to crush your skull?

I look at it like this. Say I need a heart Transplant. I can pick one of two doctors to do the operation. A doctor who just finished his residency or a doctor who has been doing this same surgery for 20 years and has hundred of sucessfull results.

Pick one. With the Maverick being the rookie and the doctor with all the proven experience being the 590 or 870.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 16:12   #8
drider

Yea it's true, start with a good platform 870 all the way or 590.
Old 12-05-2009, 16:27   #9
AF-Odin

My son loves his Maverick, but YIKES, $199 on sale. Around here, they are normally about $189 regularly and frequently show up for $169 on sale. However, this is the Soverign Republic of Texas, not California.
Old 12-05-2009, 18:24   #10
Deaf Smith

I've owned the Maverick, and if you are going to use those AR style stocks, I'd rather get the Maverick than the 500 or 590 due to the safety location.

But I prefer tang safties so I can shoot eather left or right sided.

Still if I was on a super tight budget, the Maverick backed by a good used .38 will get you through the night.

Deaf
Old 12-05-2009, 21:32   #11
AaronT

its a fine shotgun. the 88.
AaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:46   #12
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

LOVE my Maverick!!... I have a 18 1/2" barrel for home and a 28" for field... Fantastic shotgun at a Fantastic price!!... I have had this thing in all kinds of weather and have even dropped it in about 4' of water and mud while duck hunting and still managed to kill a bunch!... Have owned it for about 4yrs and have put FAR to many shells through her to count!

Tactical Shotguns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 22:07   #13
mixflip

I love my $199 Maverick 88 too!!!

Tactical Shotguns
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 23:52   #14
drider

Some of you guys are making me think twice, i don't know much about shotguns, but i hear that having twin row rods on the pump is a good thing?So less jams if there was any?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:08   #15
mixflip

Most pump shotguns have double actuating rods and double extractors nowadays but the Mossberg Maverick 88 really is a good bang for the buck at $199 or less. Shotguns dont need to be super sophisticated with ultra tight tolerances. My 88 can blow a huge hole in a target the exact same size as a $1000+ Benelli or FNH.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 17:11   #16
sambeaux2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
Some of you guys are making me think twice, i don't know much about shotguns, but i hear that having twin row rods on the pump is a good thing?So less jams if there was any?
Mavericks have dual action bars. Have had dual action bars for years now. The main difference is that the action bars are riveted to the forearm on the maverick. Makes it a little bit of a pain to swap forends. Other than that, it's
fine.

Sam
Old 12-06-2009, 19:41   #17
katana8869
NativeFloridian

Quote:
LOVE my Maverick!!...
+1 on that. I have had 4 or 5 of these over the years and they are a very, very good buy in a no frills, reliable and dependable shotgun.

Tactical Shotguns

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."
- Samurai maxim
katana8869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 21:28   #18
aippi

I want the best tires on my vehicles and the best brake pads. If I am going to repel I want the best rope and harness. Why, because my life depends on these things. You don't need a $1,000 shotgun to defend your home or life, but spending a few more dollars for an 870 or 590 is not going to break you and could make a difference. There is a reaon that Maverick cosy $169 and the others cost more. You will find out if you buy it, hope it is on the range and not when SHTF. One guy has had 4 or 5 of them over the years, most the guys on here that have 870's have had them for 20 to 30 years, same weapon and it still runs like a swiss watch. The Maverick is like most other things we buy today, cheap, made cheap and when it breaks you throw it away. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:02   #19
userfriendly

The Maverick is basically a Mossberg 500 with a different safety. The 500 has the safety on the tang while the Maverick M88 has the safety on the trigger guard. Most other parts will interchange between the 2. The thing with the M88 is that you cant add magazine extensions. Its just how its made, you need to change the entire mag assembly.

It will go bang every time you pull the trigger. Its a cheap, no frills reliable and dependable gun. With pump shotguns, failure is mostly due to operator error. Short stroking, forgeting to release the safety, wrong ammo, etc.. Mechanical malfunctions are rare on pumps.

The reason its cheaper than the the 500 is its positioned as an entry level item. Its also assembled in Texas using Mexico made parts.
userfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45   #20
boss37

Love mine. Have had it about 4 years, no problems. A great inexpensive option, imo.
boss37 is offline   Reply With Quote