Old 12-15-2009, 22:14   #1
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Range Report AK vs AR

RANGE REPORT: Saiga AK47 vs. Colt 6920
Date 12-14-09 and 12-15-09

Black Rifle Forum
VS

Black Rifle Forum during this test I took the 3x magnifier off the weapon to make it a fair contest.

Black Rifle Forum

Just to start this is not a thread to bash either weapon. But I decided to see which weapon was best for me at the range. Rather than just go off assumptions. On 12-14-09 I fired several types of rounds from a bench in the Saiga to see which was the most accurate. That turned out to be Federal American Eagle at 1.70

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class

Last edited by Alaskapopo; 12-28-2009 at 13:42..
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 22:15   #2
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Then on 12-15-09 I took out my Colt 6920. I used reloads loaded with BLC2 powder, Military primers and military 62 grain bullets (SS109) . A while back I got these bullets at a great price on line. This is not military ammo but it will have to do. The specs are close as I could get as a reloader. The results for this test was the Colt averaged 1.41Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum

Here are a few range pics
Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Earlier in the month I fired a variety of weapons in a simple CQB drill. (Start from low ready and fire 2 rounds at 3 USPSA targets spaced 3 yards apart and 7 yards from me.
Here are the results from the Saiga vs. the Colt.

Gun Saiga AK47 Red dot (Aimpoint ML2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j3i_n7LuP0

1. 2.91
2. 3.28
3. 2.71
4. 2.71
5. 2.67

Average time 2.86

HITS

T1 9A 1C
T2 10A
T3 9A 1C

Total hits: 28 A 2C

Colt 6920 Aimpoint (Flash hider no comp)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFlJVVZDx68

TIME
1. 2.87
2. 3.08
3. 2.79
4. 2.75
5. 2.87
Average 2.87

HITS

T1 8A 2C
T2 9A 1C
T3 8A 2C

Total hits 25A 5C

CONCLUSION:

The AR had a slight accuracy advantage from the bench at 50 yards with similar optic set ups. On the speed drill both rifles were pretty much dead even with .01 of a second going to the Colt. These guns are a fair comparison in my opinion because both represent some of the best in their breed. (Russian AK vs. Colt AR) and both have similar upgrades in optics and triggers. The AK has a 2 stage trigger that is one of the better ones I have used.

I still need to do a long range shooting exercise. But at close range of 50 yards or less I feel that these weapons are about equal. I never gave the AK full credit before but if you set one up with a good optic and put an extended safety on it its not too bad. I also need to do some tests including reloads and other gun manipulations. The AR has the edge at long range and at speed of reloading but I want to document it. This report is not meant to be a slam on either gun. I like both systems a lot.

Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class

Last edited by Alaskapopo; 12-15-2009 at 22:18..
Old 12-15-2009, 22:25   #3
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Now you should take a WASR out and tell us how those groups are.

No more AK bashing posts from you for a while huh?

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 22:26   #4
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Now you should take a WASR out and tell us how those groups are.

No more AK bashing posts from you for a while huh?

I could take my Mak 90 out it does not group nearly as well as the Saiga. If you put good ammo in the AR it does a lot better. But I wanted this to be a fair contest. I will admit I was surprised by the results. No more AK bashing from me.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 12-15-2009, 22:57   #5
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
I could take my Mak 90 out it does not group nearly as well as the Saiga. If you put good ammo in the AR it does a lot better. But I wanted this to be a fair contest. I will admit I was surprised by the results. No more AK bashing from me.
Pat
I really regret getting rid of my Saiga (gave it to a friend). I wouldn't own any other make of AK. My main beef with the gun isn't the common accuracy argument, but the ergonomics to me are atrocious. Yes, you can bring it on target quickly, but it's just uncomfortable to use.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 16:46   #6
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Pat
Hey Pat!
This is one classy statement.
Hats off to you Sir.
My own experience with the AK platform was positive in terms of accuracy as well, so I was always surprised with the opinions flying around on this forum.
Of course AR will still hold advantage on the longer distances, but for the CQB AK is a good choice IMO.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 23:44   #7
javelinadave
Hebrew Hammer

An AK is good for 100 to 200 yards at best.
An AR is good to 800 yards +/-.
That is with iron sights, optics may push that out a bit but I'll take an AR any day in a gun fight.
javelinadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 00:02   #8
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
An AK is good for 100 to 200 yards at best.
An AR is good to 800 yards +/-.
That is with iron sights, optics may push that out a bit but I'll take an AR any day in a gun fight.
I like the AR as well. But 800 yards plus is something that needs good optics or a very skilled shooter with Irons. I frankly can't see well enough to hit a man sized target at 800 yards. I need to do more testing. But I believe the AR is a good gun to 400 or 500 with optics and good ammo (75 grain TAP) I believe (hypothises) that the AK with good ammo and optics is probably good to 300 yards. Again I will have to test these theories. Both do what assault rifles were intended to do. That is fight inside of 300 yards.

The Stock Ak vs the stock AR is a different story. The sights on the AK limit it quite a bit. I also hate the stock safety.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 12-15-2009, 23:56   #9
jokeruh

Pat,

Thanks for the testing.

I think you have settled (by this test) one of the two biggest internet rumors - that AK's cant hit barn door outside of 25 yards (the other being that AR's are not reliable and can't shoot more than 30 rounds without breaking).

Obviously, with good optics and decent ammo the AK is reasonably accurate (though I know that the AR will best it at longer ranges).

I have several AR's and several AK's. I much prefer the ergonomics of the AR but I still prefer the AK overall. I can understand why many prefer the AR though.

Thanks again
jokeruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 00:03   #10
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeruh View Post
Pat,

Thanks for the testing.

I think you have settled (by this test) one of the two biggest internet rumors - that AK's cant hit barn door outside of 25 yards (the other being that AR's are not reliable and can't shoot more than 30 rounds without breaking).

Obviously, with good optics and decent ammo the AK is reasonably accurate (though I know that the AR will best it at longer ranges).

I have several AR's and several AK's. I much prefer the ergonomics of the AR but I still prefer the AK overall. I can understand why many prefer the AR though.

Thanks again
I agree both are excellent guns and it depends on what you value more and what your needs are.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 12-16-2009, 09:58   #11
fivestar

Very nice comparison, and beautiful scenery. I wish I was there.

A couple of years ago I sold off my 2 AR's, AK, and Sig 556 due to divorce. I've since been able to buy back my AK from a friend. I'd like to get another AR sometime in the near future. However, that's a lot of money for me now. I've been playing around with the idea of getting an Ultimak rail for my AK and getting another Eotech and having that as my "go to" rifle. My AK isn't on par with your's though, as it's just a cheap WASR.

Thanks again!
fivestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:00   #12
Atl_Jay

Thanks Pat! Very informative.

What brands of x39 did you shoot? I have Saigas and am curious about the best commercially available ammo.

Regards
Atl_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:03   #13
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl_Jay View Post
Thanks Pat! Very informative.

What brands of x39 did you shoot? I have Saigas and am curious about the best commercially available ammo.

Regards
I posted a range report in this thread. It lists all the ammo I shot.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158377
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 12-21-2009, 00:25   #14
pleaforwar

Quote:
I agree both are excellent guns and it depends on what you value more and what your needs are.
Pat
Bingo, I could not say it any better. Great comparison Pat.

pleaforwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 13:02   #15
Hedo1

Good report I enjoyed it. I'm an AR guy but I own and shoot both weapons.
Old 12-16-2009, 14:13   #16
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
Good report I enjoyed it. I'm an AR guy but I own and shoot both weapons.
Me too. I like both guns but am more of an AR guy.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 12-19-2009, 23:43   #17
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

I enjoyed reading your test results. I am new to the world of black soulless rifles and went through a length decision making process to decide AR or AK. AK or AR??? I finally settled on the AR and I too bought the Colt LE 6920. I will be getting the AK next year. I admire the effort you seemingly made to keep this test objective and "fair" I recently saw Gunny Lee Ermy do a comparrison between the AK and M16 but it was focussed on caliber performance. Of course the AK left the M16 in the dust on that one.

If you do any further testing please post up the results. A lot of us noobs like to read and learn.

I'm kind of a purist on this gun. I prefer to leave it bone stock if possible but at my age I may need to put some optics on it of some kind if I want to shoot beyond 50 yds, Which I most certainly do. I can consistently produce the ONE-RAGGED-HOLE at 25 yards through the iron sights and I'm sneakin' up on being there at 50yds. I'm going tomorrow and I expect to have it tightened up to that same ability at 50yds by the time I leave there. But The old eyes aint what they were 43 years ago when I last fired a military rifle.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:53   #18
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack23 View Post
I enjoyed reading your test results. I am new to the world of black soulless rifles and went through a length decision making process to decide AR or AK. AK or AR??? I finally settled on the AR and I too bought the Colt LE 6920. I will be getting the AK next year. I admire the effort you seemingly made to keep this test objective and "fair" I recently saw Gunny Lee Ermy do a comparrison between the AK and M16 but it was focussed on caliber performance. Of course the AK left the M16 in the dust on that one.

If you do any further testing please post up the results. A lot of us noobs like to read and learn.

I'm kind of a purist on this gun. I prefer to leave it bone stock if possible but at my age I may need to put some optics on it of some kind if I want to shoot beyond 50 yds, Which I most certainly do. I can consistently produce the ONE-RAGGED-HOLE at 25 yards through the iron sights and I'm sneakin' up on being there at 50yds. I'm going tomorrow and I expect to have it tightened up to that same ability at 50yds by the time I leave there. But The old eyes aint what they were 43 years ago when I last fired a military rifle.
I enjoy doing these reports. I will try to do more this Monday and Tuesday. I want to do a drill at 100 yards and I also want to compare reload speeds.

As to caliber the 7.62 has the 5.56 on barrier penetration but the 5.56 has the edge in tissue damage. That may change with Hornadays new Vmax load.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 12-28-2009, 13:51   #19
internal

Quote:

As to caliber the 7.62 has the 5.56 on barrier penetration but the 5.56 has the edge in tissue damage.
Pat
Not only that but the exterior ballistics on the 5.56/.223 are mucho superior.

If you sight an AR in for 50 yards its going to hit no more then 2" up or down on target from 25 yards out to almost 300 yards.
internal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 13:56   #20
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by internal View Post
Not only that but the exterior ballistics on the 5.56/.223 are mucho superior.

If you sight an AR in for 50 yards its going to hit no more then 2" up or down on target from 25 yards out to almost 300 yards.
It does have less drop as you illustrated. The 50 yard battle sight 0 puts you on again at 200. Here are the charts.
50 yard 0
Black Rifle Forum

100 yard 0
Black Rifle Forum

25 yard 0
Black Rifle Forum
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class