SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2009, 16:04   #1
Gordy Dog

Detail Stripping the HK USP

Hello all,
I was just wondering how often you guys and gals detail strip your HK USPs, and if there were any headaches associated with that in comparison to the Glocks.
Thanks,
Gordy Dog
Old 12-23-2009, 19:09   #2
sigcalcatrant

NEVER, even after tens of thousands of rounds. Once a year, I hose out the frame and slide with aerosol Break Free, let soak, repeat until it comes out clean, usually two or three times, then blow it out with compressed air THOROUGHLY. I have never, EVER had a problem.
Old 12-23-2009, 22:15   #3
HAMMERHEAD

There's no reason to detail strip an HK. With my USP's I would occasionally wet the frame down with powder solvent, then clean with Simple Green and a toothbrush, then rinse with hot water, blow it dry, relube.
IIRC, the manual says detail stripping is not needed.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 19:38   #4
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigcalcatrant View Post
NEVER, even after tens of thousands of rounds. Once a year, I hose out the frame and slide with aerosol Break Free, let soak, repeat until it comes out clean, usually two or three times, then blow it out with compressed air THOROUGHLY. I have never, EVER had a problem.
I like that idea...spray and blow - done.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 21:07   #5
bowcop22
BMW Bikes ROCK!

DHS is calling for a detail strip on the P2000 every 500 rounds....as an HK Armorer I can tell you that it is a collasal pain in the but to detail strip the USP and the P2000....don't do it unless you you have to replace a broken part....
bowcop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 22:18   #6
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I've stripped my USPc twice, though not completely (didn't remove trigger or mag catch). Once to convert to LEM, and once to convert back to V1. Was easier to go to LEM (since I had the directions that came with the LEM pack). Going back, I had to read the directions in reverse.

For those that have done it, is the P2000 easier / harder / about the same in difficulty detail stripping, in comparison to the USP??
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 22:24   #7
AA#5

With polymer-safe degreasers/cleaners, there is no reason to detail strip any pistol - including a Glock.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 22:03   #8
racine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowcop22 View Post
DHS is calling for a detail strip on the P2000 every 500 rounds....as an HK Armorer I can tell you that it is a collasal pain in the but to detail strip the USP and the P2000....don't do it unless you you have to replace a broken part....
Finally, someone honest enough to admit what a PITA it is to detail the USP. The armorers manual had adequate pics and fancy tools for the takedown which is now the bible, I think on HK forums, but one I rarely use for reference. Those guys over there claim it's a cake walk and I detail mine about 4 times a year or more and still ***** and moan. I bought a video from an Arizona gunsmith that covers a slew of HK long and short guns( USP also) and I haven't looked back. That smith was supposed to come out with a DVD but had some problems with the producer. The video cassette is pretty thorough but the picture quality is just good not excellent. I detail strip my USP every 1000-1200 rounds. I use very clean powder for reloading but that frame, trigger and lower receiver gets pretty gummed up. I'm too chicken to use a dunk it system for fear of compromising the lower frame. It helps to have good punches and tools for this process. I'm a sucker for thorough cleaning so this whole process with the barrel is about a 3-4 hr trip. My glocks take about less than that or maybe even just an hour with a thorough barrel clean. The glock is easier to shoot and maintain in competition and I usually go close to 1500 rounds before a detail(which is truly piece of cake). That HK polygonal barrel really hangs on to gunk hard and it is a pain after even just 500 rounds. I went to a KKM barrel for the glock which is so easy to clean. I would suggest you pay special attention to the detail strip of the trigger( I do this every 4000 rounds), firing pin(orientations), and all the various shims, latches, catches near the sear. Don't dawdle too long lest you forget which goes where then your on the road to nowhere. ; ^ )

Last edited by racine; 01-12-2010 at 22:06..
racine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 13:41   #9
sourdough44

I say for most shooters taking the slide, barrel & recoil assembly off/ apart is enough. You can also wipe & spray some areas of the frame that are harder to get apart. Unless I fell in the mud that's about all I would do, & lube as required.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:35   #10
NCHornet

I have less than 200 rounds through my SS USP Full sized 9mm so I have never done a detailed strip. Try Youtube they have a vid on everything else, lol!!!

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away!!!
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:41   #11
HAMMERHEAD

HKPro has a tutorial on detail stripping if you really need to go too far.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 19:18   #12
HK Dan

Oh fir the Love of Christ, DO NOT "detail strip" your USP.

I have a USP40 with more than 70,000 rounds through it (it's a 1993). When I detail stripped it, it didn't need it--I had to replace a broken trigger bar or I wouldn't have gone as far as I did.

My son wanted his UPS 9mm duracoated in Desert Tan. Oh, it looks like a million bucks, but I took everything off, down to the mag release. Be advised that you need to make a special pin for the trigger which will hold the trigger and spring in place while you drive the pin back in from the correct direction (HKs go left to right).

Without that, you're screwed.

If you have not looked at the detail strip instructions--do it. You'll forget that you ever asked the question--trust me. Rotate this to here, push this to there, remove this. Then rotate this to there, push this to there, remove this--and so on. It's like a Chinese Rubiks cube.

Reassembly? Just reverse the order! <g>

Dan
HK Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 22:31   #13
bowcop22
BMW Bikes ROCK!

Bucky,

The only differances in the 2000 and th USP is the changeable backstrap and some minor differances in putting the pieces back in, namely the Sear and the Sear actualtor...other than that they are the same...if my memory serves...
bowcop22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 14:05   #14
SHOOTER629
CLM Number HBK
Let's Roll !

Smartflix has a DVD that teaches you how to brake it down,reassembly, and issues discovered with that model. Great stuff and you can rent it. I use them all the time when I have to engrave a gun that I'm not sure about as for braking it down & reassembly.

Visit :http://smartflix.com/store/category/78/Armorers-Courses
Niner's 629
Cert Glock,Sig,H&K,Colt Armorer
Instructor,Basic / Advance / tactical / Dominate shooting skills
SHOOTER629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:49   #15
umrek
NRA Member

Once, after purchasing a used 1994 date code USP 40 for a complete inspection. I wouldn't/don't for normal shooting use unless something breaks.