Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:45   #1
strokin99

Moving to MD

I am currently in the process of moving to MD and had a few questions that I can't find online about purchasing firearms in MD. I have read that there is a 7 day wait and a 1 gun a month policy. How does this pertain to law enforcement officers?

The reason I ask is that I am moving to MD to take a job with a sheriff's dept and was wondering if I should buy what I want before I move or just wait until I get settled in.
strokin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 15:12   #2
Wilkes1811

removed....

Last edited by Wilkes1811; 06-08-2012 at 20:46..
Wilkes1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 16:31   #3
strokin99

Yes I was talking about being a sworn deputy. Thanks for answering my question because I couldn't find anything saying if there were exemptions to the handgun law.
strokin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21   #4
usmc2537gunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkes1811 View Post
When you say a job with the sheriff's department, I take it you're speaking as a sworn Deputy Sheriff. Regardless, LEO's are not exempt (local, state, or federal) from the Maryland waiting period, unless you purchase the gun on department letterhead (i.e. signed by the sheriff).

As for the one **handgun** a month...yes it is the law. You can buy as many regular long rifles as you like. The law applies to regulated weapons. However you can sign up as a designated collector with the state (FREE) and then you are then exempt from the one handgun a month law.

AR's, AK's and such are all good to go. No assault pistols allowed, but class 3, SBR, and such are fine. Only mags up to 20 rounds can be sold or shipped to the state. However you can legally buy larger capacity mags (i.e. 30 round AR mags) OUTSIDE of Maryland (VA, WV, PA, etc.) and legally bring them back with you.
Quick question for you. I live in Michigan yet own a residence in Baltimore. I called the state police regarding bringing my weapons home with me. I was told that 30 round mags are illegal in Md., even if they were bought outside of the state. Are you sure about mags bought out of state and where can I confirm the information? I have about (10) 30 round mags for my M4. Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 13:41   #5
KinderGlocken

deleted
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by KinderGlocken; 03-16-2012 at 13:42.. Reason: nevermind, saw thi
KinderGlocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:39   #6
swinokur

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc2537gunny View Post
Quick question for you. I live in Michigan yet own a residence in Baltimore. I called the state police regarding bringing my weapons home with me. I was told that 30 round mags are illegal in Md., even if they were bought outside of the state. Are you sure about mags bought out of state and where can I confirm the information? I have about (10) 30 round mags for my M4. Thanks
You can't buy, sell or transfer large cap mags in MD, Possession is totally legal.

I have the ones I buy shipped to a friend in VA. MSP should know better. I'll try to find the statute for you

Here is the statute

Quote:
29.03.01.30. 30 Possession of Magazines-Exemptions.. The manufacture, sale, offer for sale, purchase, receipt, or transfer of a detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition is prohibited, with the following exceptions:A. The magazine is for a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine;. B. The magazine is for an individual identified in Regulation .02C(2)a) (c) and (d) of this chapter;. C. The magazine has been rendered permanently inoperative;.
No mention of possession being illegal. Therefore legal

Last edited by swinokur; 03-17-2012 at 02:44..
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 21:13   #7
roguedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin99 View Post
I am currently in the process of moving to MD and had a few questions that I can't find online about purchasing firearms in MD. I have read that there is a 7 day wait and a 1 gun a month policy. How does this pertain to law enforcement officers?

The reason I ask is that I am moving to MD to take a job with a sheriff's dept and was wondering if I should buy what I want before I move or just wait until I get settled in.
Just curious as to what part of the state you are moving to. I have a good friend in St. Mary's county. (Hope they can move away in a couple years) and hope the move went well for you.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
roguedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 19:14   #8
Rabid Rabbit

You can buy more than one handgun a month in MD but you have to fill out a form and say you are a collector. I filled on out years ago but cannot remember what the form is but you should be able to find it on the MSP website. The best idea is don't move here, the taxes are terrible and getting worse and the gun laws are just as bad.

Last edited by Rabid Rabbit; 04-27-2013 at 19:15..
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14   #9
swinokur

Because of the gun buying frenzy, the 7 day wait has morphed into 50 plus days for MSP to conduct your background checks. It's only going to get worse before it improves IMO with the passage of SB 281, MD's new restrictive gun statute. You will need a permit to purchase after Oct. 1, which will include finger printing and yet another background check.

Welcome to gulag MD.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:56   #10
Ahmid
CLM Number 299
Charter Lifetime Member

My advice to you if you are into guns is don't move there!
I was a LEO for 25+ years in MD..
You are just like any other citizen when it comes to the purchase of a firearm.
MSP either don't know squat or think they are god when it comes to giving advice on firearm purchase's.
The happiest day of my life is when I moved out of Maryland.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:18   #11
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

You'll need to send all your guns to a FFL in Maryland before September 29, 2013 to get those guns into grandfather law. Otherwise, after October 1st, 2013 you will need to do much more paper work and cost to have those guns in MD.

I am sure the FFL you are doing business with you will release the guns on 8th waiting day because you are a sworn police officer.

Which part are you moving to? I am in St. Mary's county. It is growing fast and I don't know if you are moving to that area.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 17:22   #12
JohnnyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
You'll need to send all your guns to a FFL in Maryland before September 29, 2013 to get those guns into grandfather law. Otherwise, after October 1st, 2013 you will need to do much more paper work and cost to have those guns in MD.

I am sure the FFL you are doing business with you will release the guns on 8th waiting day because you are a sworn police officer.

Which part are you moving to? I am in St. Mary's county. It is growing fast and I don't know if you are moving to that area.
I think the OP should visit and join Maryland Shooters forum. LOADS of valuable information for Marylanders.

You need to do a few things. Check your pistols against the state's approved handgun list. If anything you own isn't on the list, you'll need to do more research.

Second, you don't and won't need to run your collection through a Maryland FFL when you move into Maryland. Neither now, nor starting October 1, 2013, when the new anti-gun law takes effect, is there a registration requirement for firearms a new Marylander brings into the state. If you establish residency in Maryland on or after October 1, 2013, you'll need to learn more. I know that I won't be able to buy, sell or transfer an AK in Maryland on or after October 1. You have homework to do.
JohnnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 15:44   #13
Moravia

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin99 View Post

I did the same as you. I don't regret taking the job, I love it. I do regret moving from PA to MD and realizing just how much I miss not waiting for a gun purchase. I plan on moving north across the Mason-Dixon line within a year or two. There is no special treatment for LE in MD, and that is the way it should be, but all citizens get the shaft in this state regardless of profession.

The state police are "backed up" on background checks. I have a friend who is a police officer and has been waiting 45 days for his departmentally approved secondary duty weapon. The gun shop will not release his gun because it is a "liability". This state is a joke and come Oct. 1st it will be even more so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Moravia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 15:54   #14
swinokur

MD law allows release of a handgun or other "regulated" firearms after 8 days if the Stat Police don't issue a disapproval.. Some FFL's are not doing this because of liability fears. Current wait times are around 100 days. Many FFL's are releasing after 8 days however.

Pretty sad.

Last edited by swinokur; 07-30-2013 at 04:46..
Old 07-29-2013, 17:30   #15
swinokur

The handgun roster is only for transfers from a sale through an FFL. Handguns brought into the state are not required to be on the list. If you are establishing residency and bring a handgun into MD after Oct 1, it will need to be registered with MSP. Procedures for this have not yet been published.
Old 07-29-2013, 17:39   #16
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
The handgun roster is only for transfers from a sale through an FFL. Handguns brought into the state are not required to be on the list. If you are establishing residency and bring a handgun into MD after Oct 1, it will need to be registered with MSP. Procedures for this have not yet been published.
This!
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote