Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2010, 21:46   #1
Scott in Houston

Monarch 9mm Brass vs. 9mm Steel Rounds

At Academy, the Brass is 11.99 for 50 rounds and the steel is 9.99 per 50 rounds. Why is the steel less? Is it because you can't reload a steel hull?
Old 01-12-2010, 00:18   #2
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
At Academy, the Brass is 11.99 for 50 rounds and the steel is 9.99 per 50 rounds. Why is the steel less? Is it because you can't reload a steel hull?
That would more than likely be the reason; reloadable v. non-reloadable. Plus, brass v. steel. Made in Boznia v. made in Russia.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 21:34   #3
stengun

Howdy,

Gee, maybe because steel is about $.03/lb and brass is about $4.00lb.

Paul
stengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:53   #4
2afreedom

Unless you're a reloader use the steel and save some cash to shoot more. Guarantee the paper you're punching won't know the difference.
2afreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 13:35   #5
Scott in Houston

Through further research, there are some that believe the steel uses corrosive primers and the brass is better quality (not being made in Russia).
I'm sticking to the brass when I shoot Monarch at all.
Old 01-17-2010, 16:50   #6
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
Through further research, there are some that believe the steel uses corrosive primers and the brass is better quality (not being made in Russia).
I'm sticking to the brass when I shoot Monarch at all.
All modern commercial and military ammo that is being made today use non-corrosive priming, including Russian made ammo. The only way you're going to get corrosive primed ammo is with military surplus made in thad 70's And earlier, primarily from the old Combloc and eastern countries, and primarily in rifle calibers. Much of the earily Makarov and Tokarev surplus ammo imported was corrosive primed. I don't recall any 9x19mm being imported with corrosive primers with the exception of some Czech mil surplus imported by Interarms close to 20 years ago. After WWII Sweden had so much surplus 9mm ammo that they went as far as pulling the bullets, removing the corrosive primers and then reloading it all over again with non-corrosive primers and then repacking the ammo and they sold multi-millions of this ammo on the U.S. market.

Last edited by Merkavaboy; 01-17-2010 at 17:09..
Old 01-17-2010, 17:45   #7
Scott in Houston

That's good to know! I was scared away from the steel for no reason other than Internet BS.
Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24   #8
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

I just remembered that any Egyptian 9mm (small rectangular 36 round boxes) should be considered corrosive primed.
Old 01-19-2010, 22:23   #9
samuse

I have run 5 or 6 thousand rounds of Monarch Steel through a couple of Glocks with no problems. One lot had 4 that didn't fire, but no harm done to my guns. Decently accurate and shoots pretty soft. It stinks too

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 23:45   #10
DEADEYEGUY

I shoot it whenI can't find anything else. I was scared away by all the horror stories of steel cased ammo at first also. But then a friend who collect ammo showed me a box of U.S. military ball ammo made in 1943 and it was steel cased. Seems that brass was in short supply so they made steel ammo in .45, .30 Carbine, and .30-06. If it was so terrible and hard on weapons I doubt that they would have used it. The steel in the ammo is softer than your guns internals.
So no I don't shoot it alot. But if it comes to only having Monarch steel for practice or no practice I have no problems shooting it. I've had a couple of hundred rounds through several of my guns and no problems. And yes it does make the gun smell. So I scrub it down a little better.
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote