SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2010, 18:53   #1
Jaybo510
Got Glock?

45 ACP 200gr. Copper Plated Round Nose Load

I just bought some Hodgdon Tite Group and I am going to be loading 45 ACP 200gr. Copper Plated Round Nose X-Treme bullets for my G21. Hodgdon's website does not give any load data for round nose bullets in this weight. But my question is has anyone out there loaded this type of bullet with this powder, and what what your optimal powder load? What is the best OAL for Glocks, or more specific a G21? The closest I have found to its says to start at 4.8grs. Any personal experience, or pointers would be appreciated. This is going to be my first attempt at reloading EVER! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jaybo510; 01-13-2010 at 18:56..
Jaybo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 20:13   #2
kc lefty

i dont load the same bullet (brand) but I do load berrys 200 gr, copper plated flat point with titegroup.

start at 4.5 and work up to 4.8. I shoot mine through 1911's but the glock will be fine.

i shoot the lightest grain possible to cycle the gun. 4.5 to 4.8 works well for me.

i use 1.20 - 1.25 OAL. load a dummy (no powder) drop it in the barrell, it should drop in and out easily. then hand cycle it in the gun. if that works, load 5 actutal then hand cycle those.

this is NOT rocket science. if i can do it, anyone can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo510 View Post
I just bought some Hodgdon Tite Group and I am going to be loading 45 ACP 200gr. Copper Plated Round Nose X-Treme bullets for my G21. Hodgdon's website does not give any load data for round nose bullets in this weight. But my question is has anyone out there loaded this type of bullet with this powder, and what what your optimal powder load? What is the best OAL for Glocks, or more specific a G21? The closest I have found to its says to start at 4.8grs. Any personal experience, or pointers would be appreciated. This is going to be my first attempt at reloading EVER! Thanks in advance.
kc lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 22:00   #3
Jaybo510
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc lefty View Post
i dont load the same bullet (brand) but I do load berrys 200 gr, copper plated flat point with titegroup.

start at 4.5 and work up to 4.8. I shoot mine through 1911's but the glock will be fine.

i shoot the lightest grain possible to cycle the gun. 4.5 to 4.8 works well for me.

i use 1.20 - 1.25 OAL. load a dummy (no powder) drop it in the barrell, it should drop in and out easily. then hand cycle it in the gun. if that works, load 5 actutal then hand cycle those.

this is NOT rocket science. if i can do it, anyone can do it.
Thank you. At least I have a ball park idea of where I need to be.

Any of you using a Lee Turret Press? I am just wondering what Micro Disk number you are using. I just tried a .40 which should give me 4.7grs, but when I weigh it comes out around 4.4 - 4.5grs. Should I go up to the next one on the table which would be .43 to give me 5.1grs that will probably weigh around 4.7 - 4.8grs on the scale?
Old 01-13-2010, 22:18   #4
partsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo510 View Post
Thank you. At least I have a ball park idea of where I need to be.

Any of you using a Lee Turret Press? I am just wondering what Micro Disk number you are using. I just tried a .40 which should give me 4.7grs, but when I weigh it comes out around 4.4 - 4.5grs. Should I go up to the next one on the table which would be .43 to give me 5.1grs that will probably weigh around 4.7 - 4.8grs on the scale?
i load on a 1000, you have to learn the way the disk is going to weigh each type of powder. i use tg and i like it but with the bushing i am useing it supposed to be giveing me a 5.4 gr charge but the actual weight it is only about 5.2 on average.
imr powders seem to load closest to the charts weight.
i have allot of luck with tg it cycles my guns very well i use it in 9mm .38 an .45 acp.
as others have said start at the begining and work your way up.......
rimfire club #105 Kalashnikov Klub #29
g-19,g-21, saiga12, ruger no.1-45/70 ruger super redhawk, ruger gp100-357 mag, winchester model-30.06, marlin 1895 xlr-45/70, marlin 1896 30-30, dpms a2, stag m-4,mossberg 500
:harley:
partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 22:26   #5
PCJim

jaybo, I don't load on that press. That being said, throw 3-5 charges just to settle the powder in the hopper, dumping the powder back in the hopper. Be sure to use the same stroke you would use when actually loading. Then, throw 10 charges onto your scale, again using a consistant stroke. Measure the total weight of those 10 charges and divide by 10. That is what your disk/bushing is delivering for that particular powder.

For future reference, make sure you notate your disk/bushing number, powder and delivered weight in your reloading data logbook. I guarantee you that some day you will want to recall that information.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 22:31   #6
jaybirdjtt

My loading data shows 5.2 to 5.6 grains Tite Group with a 200 grn bullet. MV range from 880 to 960. I just loaded up some 230 grn Berry's copper plated. Berry's website, under FAQs, suggest keeping velocities under 1200 fps and say their 45's are good 850-900 fps. They also say that alot of Glock owners use their copper plated. I posted a thread just this week and everyone who replied said they had experienced no problems with Berry's or to go with moderate or lead loads. With the 230 grn I am starting at 800 fps and loaded 5 to see if they'll cycle in the G30. I just worked up a load today for the 9mm using 124 grn plated. Bumped the starting load up .5 grns and the G26 cycles fine now. I am working with Unique on the 45 loads.
I'd probably load a few at 5.0 or 5.2 TiteGroup and see if it works. You know the signs of pressure?
A bullet puller is a great investment.
jaybirdjtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 23:01   #7
Jaybo510
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybirdjtt View Post
You know the signs of pressure?
Thanks to all of you for all of the great information. I am soaking it up like a sponge. Keep it coming.

Jaybird to answer your question, no. What are the signs of pressure? And are we talking about excessive high pressure?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:17   #8
sourdough44

I have loaded some 200 grn RN 45 bullets & Tightgroup. I was loading right at 5 to 5.1 grains. This was just for plinking & target mostly. These loads cycled fine in 3 different 45's. Just be careful with the charges, that is not much powder in a large case. I weighed every charge. It wouldn't take much to vary into an overcharge, especially progressive.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:21   #9
Bultx1215

Lee disc numbers for TG

.43 - 5.0g without tapping..5.1 tapped
.40 - 4.6g tapped
.37 - 4.4g tapped

Based on several threads dealing with Lee disc numbers, your mileage will vary. They seem to be different for everyone. I find that the hopper must be tapped on before every drop with TG. You will need to drop and weigh your own to see what you are actually getting. It may be close to mine...it may not. Take notes and refer to them later when you want to change drops. I am only using the Lee Auto Disc for pistol rounds now.
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19   #10
mteagle1

TiteGroup is an extremely dense powder and very easy to double charge. It also burns very hot so the gun will get hot with fast shooting. It is also temperature sensitive so loads developed this winter will be hotter next summer. The most common sign of overpressure is flattened primers or primers which look like they have flowed back into the fring pin hole. With a Glock this shows up as a very pronounced raised box around the striker indentation.
101st Airborne 1957-60
USAF 1961-80 Retired
mteagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:26   #11
jaybirdjtt

Determining max pressure without a pressure gun, per Hornady Handbook, third ed., 1980.....
1. flat cratered primers
2. ejector marks or heavy burnish marks on the case head
3. stiff extraction
4. excessive case head expansion (which is determined by measuring the case head just ahead of the extraction groove before and after firing using a blade micrometer or a case head guage). The article goes onto talkiing about what is "excessive case head expansion" with low pressure loads (like 30/30 being .0003-.0004" max) mid pressure(.0005-.0006"), etc. This article does not mention handgun cartridges but gives you a pretty good overview.

It goes onto say that when working up max loads you want to use only new cases as repeated firings work-harden brass at different levels. Makes sense.....!

Don't forget to watch your Minimum OAL as deep seating a bullet can ruin your day!!

For me....I use medium loads that cycle the gun for target, IDPA, etc. and get alot of use from the brass. No problems. For SD I buy appropriate factory ammo, make sure it cycles and use it in the house gun or for CC. For hunting or LR target, this is where the experimentation happens and I am more concerned with using the appropriate bullet for what I am hunting and not so much getting an extra 100 fps out of a "hot load." Varmint hunting is more about accuracy. So is LR target shooting. Ultimately I feel that shooting is about hitting what you are aiming at and reloading is there to help you achieve that goal with cheaper ammo so you can practice or more accurate ammo so you can hit the target at longer ranges after you've practiced with the other ammo to dial in your trigger squeeze, breathing, sight picture, etc. It's all good fun. I highly recommend getting some good reloading manuals and reading them like you would a book. Skip the load data until later. Most are packed with info. Some, aren't so browse them first and get one that has alot of stuff to help you understand what is happening and why.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:44   #12
jwc17

I use Winchester 231 with 200 grain X-Treme copper plated round nose bullets on a Lee Classic Turret Press.

I load 4.9 grains (disk .46) for use with my full size Colt 1911 and 5.3 grains (disk .49) for use with my Glock 36. 4.9 grains of W231 is not enough to reliably cycle the G36, but 5.3 grains works fine. I load them both to 1.245" overall length. The Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure system is amazingly accurate and consistent for me.
jwc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:15   #13
Jim Watson

The powder doesn't know what shape the nose of the bullet is unless it makes a good deal of difference in the seating depth. You are talking about below maximum loads and will be fine.

I would not be looking for Hornady's rifle "pressure signs" in a pistol running about 1/3 the chamber pressure. I once scared myself with cratered primers in a 9mm handbook load until I realized I had used soft Federal primers that I normally reserve for revolvers. Winchester primers looked normal and the load double checked correct.
Old 01-14-2010, 17:22   #14
jaybirdjtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
The powder doesn't know what shape the nose of the bullet is unless it makes a good deal of difference in the seating depth. You are talking about below maximum loads and will be fine.

I would not be looking for Hornady's rifle "pressure signs" in a pistol running about 1/3 the chamber pressure. I once scared myself with cratered primers in a 9mm handbook load until I realized I had used soft Federal primers that I normally reserve for revolvers. Winchester primers looked normal and the load double checked correct.
Jim is correct. You picked an easy cartridge to load. Stay with mid range loads and you'll be fine.....usually. The Hornady book does have alot of interesting info regarding changing components. Different primers, different brass, that sort of thing. One variable can make a big difference . Start keeping records of everything you used with the results in a spiral notebook. Years from now you'll be amazed at what you have learned. You may be starting with a 45 ACP but who knows? You may evolve into a silhouette, benchrest or 50 BMG guy.
Old 01-14-2010, 18:15   #15
Jaybo510
Got Glock?

You guys are great. Thanks for all the info. Im sure I will have some more questions after tonight.
Old 01-14-2010, 18:36   #16
buckshotshorty

If you are using the Lee Pro disk powder measure, do yourself a favor, for less than $10 buy the micrometer that replaces the disk. You can adjust it for any powder and drop the EXACT amount you want. It works great for me.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!
pb
buckshotshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 22:54   #17
Jaybo510
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
If you are using the Lee Pro disk powder measure, do yourself a favor, for less than $10 buy the micrometer that replaces the disk. You can adjust it for any powder and drop the EXACT amount you want. It works great for me.

This is sold by Lee? If not where can I get it? Thanks