SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:20   #1
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

18.5" 5+1 vs 20" 7+1

That is the question... What do you prefer and why? Are you really getting that much of a more shorter and lighter shotgun with the smaller model? Would you rather have the extra rounds?

Buds Gun Shop has the Mossberg Maverick 88 for $195 (20" 0r 18.5") and that is just too good of a deal to pass up. I already have a 500A 20" (Knoxx stock, Power pack, TLR-1) but I think my shotgun philosophy is changing... I want the smallest, lightest shotgun I can get for HD. Since this gun would only be used indoors I want a wieldy little boomstick.

Anything outside or SHTF I'll grab the AK.

Thinking about ditching the 20" Mossberg and taking the side saddle off for a light weight 5+1 Maverick + Spec-Ops.

What do you folks prefer?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:24   #2
MBG20

with an extension from MAX100 you can get 18.5 & 7+1...
MBG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:49   #3
Puppy

An additional 1.5" of length, for an additional two shells?

Personally I'd take that tiny bit of additional length to get those two additional shells in the magazine without any hesitation.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 13:07   #4
mixflip

Its all just preference. Here is my mindset and choice.

I like my mag tubes to be flush with the barrel (my personal choice not based on practicality) and on the practical side I like the extra ammo. Shotguns are inherently slow to reload compared to magazine feed handguns and rifles so more ammo, even just +2, does play a bigger role in the combat/HD shotgun world. In my opinion of course. Shotgun experts may disagree?

I am fairly strong still (late 30's) so I dont have any issues with the mentioned extra weight.

As for length, to me there is no noticeable difference between wielding a 18.5 vs 20" barreled shotgun in my house. If I were in a car maybe? I will probably never own a super short, pistol grip only, 18.5" barrel,4+1 shot shotgun?

Last edited by mixflip; 02-14-2010 at 13:11..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 14:18   #5
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBG20 View Post
with an extension from MAX100 you can get 18.5 & 7+1...
I have already placed my order with Max100. I hope to have my new extention soon.

Old 02-14-2010, 13:19   #6
aippi

Shorter is better for HD use. That extra 1.5 inches is not an issue untill the last inch of it hits a corner of a wall as you try to turn to address a threat. Hall ways and doors are not friendly to long guns so having a long gun that is as compact as you can have is the best option.

I can not even try to come up with any scenerio in my home when a couple of shots will not eliminate a threat. With this said, the extra ammo is not essential to an HD weapon.
If there is ever a break down in civil order, I have other weapons that will move from the gun safe to my bedside.

You are right on track with what I tell my clients about using a shotgun for HD. You came to these conclusions based on your own expirience with your current weapon and should go with what you have decided to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 13:39   #7
Cajun

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun
It is all personal preference.
I just picked up an 870 with 20" and 7+1. I personally think this is the optimum mix for me and only plan on changing the sights as the rifle sights on it are difficult to pick up in less than optimum light.

I shoot and practice and train so that if I do need to use it only one shot will be necessary( hopefully that never even happens), but having 8 and not having to fumble a reload to get that is comforting. I will start practicing my reloads, but I really see that as more of a SHTF, EOTW scenerio, and like aippi says I have other options for that.

Maybe a shorter stock than the Choate that is on there, I will be able to judge that as I get more shooting time. .. what was the OP question again?

Ultimately, anything you have will work for HD.. practice and practice with what you have. KISS is best.
Black Rifle Club #4
The Niner's Club #1964
.40 S&W Club #315
Rimfire Club #2020
Bayou Club #11
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 13:42   #8
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I prefer the shorter barrel. If 5 loads of buck won't do the job, will 7?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 20:26   #9
slewfoot
Random Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
I prefer the shorter barrel. If 5 loads of buck won't do the job, will 7?
With that thought in mind, i bought a Mossy 500A1 today from bud's gun shop.

My 11/87 and both 870s came with the extended mag tubes. With the difference in the position of the safety, I thought the mossy should be configured different than the Remingtons, if that makes any sense to others.
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 13:16   #10
Ebb27

I like the 7+1.

Hanging that extra weight under the barrel is a great way to keep the muzzle-rise down.

Plus the extra capacity is always nice to have.

Yeah I may not need those extra rounds but hey if I do I got 'em.

.......and it's a lot more convenient than fumbling around with shells in a side-saddle or on a sling.
Old 02-14-2010, 14:07   #11
22highcaps

I started with a 20" 7+1 and went to a 18.5" and 6+1 along with a youth length stock. Shorter is better indoors.
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 14:50   #12
hogarth

I have a 590A1 w/18.5 in barrel in 5+1 configuration and a short LOP Hogue buttstock. I'm a small guy so I like the shorter length, and the shorter length also makes it more maneuverable, in general, especially indoors. Also, the weight of a shotgun should ideally be between your hands, so having and extra 1.5 barrel plus two shells puts more weight up by the muzzle, which could make it a little slower to get on target. I should also add that I have a Surefire LED forend on mine, which is a bit heavier than stock, so I really don't want any extra weight up by the muzzle.
hogarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 17:49   #13
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Thanks for weighing in guys. A lot of good points here. I agree with RMTactical. If 5 rounds of 00 buck doesn't stop the threat than it's just not my day.

To be realistic I can't see any encounter in my tiny house taking place any further than 15 feet. If the threat is outside I'm not going out there and I'm not shooting from indoors. I could probably get away with a PG pump but I would like the option of shouldering the weapon. Maybe the Copstock folder???

I think I'm going to stick my Knoxx Spec Ops on an 18.5" Maverick 88 and call it a day. Also, ditch the extra ammo hanging off the side. Cool thing is I can pull all the gear off my 500A and it will fit. TLR-1 w/ mag tube clamp, Meprolight night sight, Knoxx Stock.

If society crumbles (any more) I will just sleep with the AK out of the safe.

After lining the two up side by side. My rifle is shorter, lighter, higher cap, less recoil, further range, etc etc etc...
Old 02-14-2010, 20:40   #14
mixflip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post
Thanks for weighing in guys. A lot of good points here. I agree with RMTactical. If 5 rounds of 00 buck doesn't stop the threat than it's just not my day. I'd love to prescribe to that way of thinking but the reality (in my area anyway) is that bad guys travel in packs. Just last month a cop was shot and killed in his own garage just as he got off swing shift. He turned around and there were about 4 bad guys at his garage door that he left open. I am not saying +2 will solve all your problems by any means but I feel that a flush fitting mag extension is more of an asset than a weight & length liability in my opinion.

If society crumbles (any more) I will just sleep with the AK out of the safe.

After lining the two up side by side. My rifle is shorter, lighter, higher cap, less recoil, further range, etc etc etc...Good point. If society is crumbling I pretty much dont care about the over penetration argument at this point. As long as no one I love is on the other side of the bad guys...AK or AR for HD is fine with me too.
People over look the Maverick 88 but it really does have the optimum fire controls in my opinion too. (if you ever run a pistol grip stock)
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:00   #15
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
People over look the Maverick 88 but it really does have the optimum fire controls in my opinion too. (if you ever run a pistol grip stock)
Hell yeah. My only beef is that the mag release is still kind of a pain but oh well. My buddy just got an 870 w/ Spec Ops. Great gun but even that safety location isn't the greatest.

The BEST shotgun controls is on the Benelli Super Nova Tactical. With a pistol grip you can index the safety and mag release. It's probably the coolest pump I've ever seen. (minus the HUGE plastic forend)

I'll get one someday but I already have Mossberg extras ready to go.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01   #16
acftmech
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfam View Post
Hell yeah. My only beef is that the mag release is still kind of a pain but oh well. My buddy just got an 870 w/ Spec Ops. Great gun but even that safety location isn't the greatest.

The BEST shotgun controls is on the Benelli Super Nova Tactical. With a pistol grip you can index the safety and mag release. It's probably the coolest pump I've ever seen. (minus the HUGE plastic forend)

I'll get one someday but I already have Mossberg extras ready to go.
What he said:Tactical Shotguns
Old 02-14-2010, 17:57   #17
CTfam
DREAM BIG.

Another thought. Having the Spec Ops on the 500A is not the greatest set up due to the safety location. I love the location of the safety on the Maverick 88. Right in the front of the trigger guard where it should be! That combined with the $195 price tag AND the fact that it will fit all of my afftermarket goodies makes it a win in my book.
Old 02-14-2010, 18:25   #18
hardeyes

Hello;

I like my Benelli's with an 18" barrel, It just balances better for me. As to shell capacity, I believe that if you shoot 2, you should plan to reload 2 asap.

I also believe that if you're in a Gunfight with a SG, and have fired the 3 to 7th round, Everyone involved is either going to be going down (out of the fight), moving to get out of there, or seeking cover, to return fire.

Capacity, 7 vs 8 vs 9 etc, in a SG to me is not something that I stressed about.

I train to shoot & reload my Benelli's, and to carry extra shells with my SG. I know that I can stand off everything but a SWAT/Military invasion with my home defense SG.

What do I prefer; My Benelli's with GSR, regular capacity, and a way to carry extra shells, other than good training, that's probably all you'll ever need.

hardeyes

Last edited by hardeyes; 02-14-2010 at 18:47..
hardeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 18:51   #19
Reswob

I've been thinking about this lately (will be picking up a new gun of some sort as my b-day/tax refund present to myself), and decided if I'm going to buy an 18.5", why not just go the extra 1.5" for the 20? Then I thought, as long as I'm getting a 20", might as well be the 590 and get 8+1 instead of 7+1.

So, if I decide on a pump shotgun, it's going to either be a 20" 590 or a 14" 590 AOW.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 18:57   #20
GAFinch

I had a 20" Mossberg that I ended up selling. My next purchase is going to be an 18.5" 870 or Pardner, despite the ammo decrease. My long term HD solution is an AR anyway.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote