If you are walking out of store, some man asks for change,
then gets obnoxious, then gets in your face and imples he is
going to "kick your 'butt;"
Do you -
1. pull your concealed weapon and tell them to back off
2. Pull your weapon and proceed to unleash hell
3. Wait until you are pushed to pull weapon
4 wait until you are punched to pull weapon
5. Refuse to draw weapon even if punches are raining down on you.
because other guy doesn't have a weapon.

Not a far fethced scenario. I have had this happen, and never pulled my
gun, we both went down swinging until security got there. On hindsight I think I should have shot the SOB.
One punch in the wrong side of head could have killed this old man.
Or he could have pulled a knife and fatally stabbed me while we were on the ground or wrestling around.
But then again, maybe I did the right thing since I am still a free man.
Tough call.

Last edited by gatorhugger; 03-12-2010 at 02:39..
gatorhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:56   #2
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

I would have kicked him in the nuts and walked away.
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:28   #3
SafetyGuy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhugger View Post
Well it depends if you think an old man is a deadly threat. Although it sounds like he gave you a run for your money!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30   #4
PlayboyPenguin

I would do my best to get away from him. I would not want to get in a wrestling match with a gun on me. That can go very wrong very fast. However, I would not draw my weapon unless I had no other choice. That includes the choice of running away.
Old 03-12-2010, 13:56   #5
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayboyPenguin View Post
I would do my best to get away from him. I would not want to get in a wrestling match with a gun on me. That can go very wrong very fast. However, I would not draw my weapon unless I had no other choice. That includes the choice of running away.

Your lack of blood thirst and aversion to killing anyone who looks cross-ways at you will NOT help you fit in here.

The correct answer is, of course, kill everyone in sight. Then spit on the bodies.
Old 03-12-2010, 14:15   #6
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Couldn't resist... needed a new sig!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 14:21   #7
PlayboyPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyter2 View Post
Your lack of blood thirst and aversion to killing anyone who looks cross-ways at you will NOT help you fit in here.

The correct answer is, of course, kill everyone in sight. Then spit on the bodies.
What can I say...as I have gotten older I have become somewhat wuss-ified. I just do not see the appeal in fighting just to prove a point or over pride. If I am not armed it might be a different story, but since I am almost always armed I avoid trouble at all costs. Luckily I am not the type of guy that gets harassed alot. I am not the biggest guy, but I am a good 6'-6'1" and weight in at 220-225lbs so there is usually a more appealing target to be found. Plus my friends say I have the "crazy eyes." That helps keep people away.

Tactics and Training
Old 03-12-2010, 08:09   #8
rohanreginald
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyGuy83 View Post
Well it depends if you think an old man is a deadly threat. Although it sounds like he gave you a run for your money!
The OP is refering to himself as "the old man".

I think the OP did the right thing. I am sure that was scary, but not sure if your life was really endangered and that is one sucky position to be in. Escalation of force is always something to be aware of.
rohanreginald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 20:35   #9
SafetyGuy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanreginald View Post
The OP is refering to himself as "the old man".

I think the OP did the right thing. I am sure that was scary, but not sure if your life was really endangered and that is one sucky position to be in. Escalation of force is always something to be aware of.
You are correct sir. My apologies. I think it would depend what state you are in as to whether an unarmed man presents a deadly threat. To me it certainly is. I have seen people get knocked out and the other individual continues to beat them. No doubt this is life threatening.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:31   #10
Glock-it-to-me
Catching liars

I'm a biker and look/dress like a biker. When riding, I'm wearing my patch. Even the average panhandler tends to avoid physical confrontations with such folks.
Glock-it-to-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:56   #11
freespirit34
BMFTSY

I'd have opened up a can of "whoop ass" on him. The only problem would be if he grabbed my gun while I was stomping his butt. Then I'd really have to destroy him.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:02   #12
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Time to open THIS up...

Tactics and Training

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:40   #13
Esox357

Not a lawyer but there is something called disparity of force, that can range from multiple attackers, age, size, man vs women, known history of the person (aka professional fighter), medical condition, ect. A punch to the mouth doesn't justify killing someone, a person beating you for dear life is a different story. Esox357.
Old 03-12-2010, 14:39   #14
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox357 View Post
Not a lawyer but there is something called disparity of force, that can range from multiple attackers, age, size, man vs women, known history of the person (aka professional fighter), medical condition, ect. A punch to the mouth doesn't justify killing someone, a person beating you for dear life is a different story. Esox357.
Exactly. Additional considerations is the laws in your state, county, and city as well as the political tendencies/ambitions of the local prosecutor.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 13:34   #15
degoodman
Out of Columbus

Send a message via AIM to degoodman
This is why options are good, and having a firearm as the only one is not.

A situation such as this is custom designed for a little a$#hole repellant, AKA OC or mace. Clearly state your intention to leave the situation, take a step back to begin your departure and if the BG doesn't quit, paint the fence.

If lethal means are the only tool you have other than your fists and feet, you're in a pickle. In Ohio, the legal standard is not just AOJ, but the BG must also have comitted an overt act that establishes his intention to visit GBI or death on you, and verbal threats alone do not meet that standard.

The responses for you don't change much, clearly state your intention to disengage and leave, begin making moves to initiate your retreat, and if the BG continues to press forward, you have an additional articulable fact aiding your case for justification if you have to act. The problem remains that he has just as much right to the public street that you do, and until he commits that overt act that places you in immediate jeopardy of GBI or death, your hands are tied from a lethal force perspective.

Once fists start flying, the game is changed. If you're advancing in age, and you have cardiac conditions, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc that limit your ability to engage him physically you may be in a position to shoot that I, as a reasonably fit man in my 30's who can still get 275 off the bench, will not be in. I'm going to have to scrap for a while, or paint the fence.
degoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 14:32   #16
LoadedTech

Sandles and socks PBP??? Come on man.
Old 03-12-2010, 14:37   #17
PlayboyPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTech View Post
Hey! that sandle and sock wearing goober spent a lot of time in Europe at that time of his life...and I would expect a little more respect from someone using one of my drawings as their avatar.

Last edited by PlayboyPenguin; 03-12-2010 at 14:38..
PlayboyPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 15:12   #18
JETHRO38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTech View Post
FLORIDA GLOCKER #0420
*EDC-GLOCK27*
JETHRO38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 14:42   #19
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhugger View Post
If you are walking out of store, some man asks for change,
then gets obnoxious, then gets in your face and imples he is
going to "kick your 'butt;"
Do you -
1. pull your concealed weapon and tell them to back off
2. Pull your weapon and proceed to unleash hell
3. Wait until you are pushed to pull weapon
4 wait until you are punched to pull weapon
5. Refuse to draw weapon even if punches are raining down on you.
because other guy doesn't have a weapon.

Not a far fethced scenario. I have had this happen, and never pulled my
gun, we both went down swinging until security got there. On hindsight I think I should have shot the SOB.
Or he could have pulled a knife and fatally stabbed me while we were on the ground or wrestling around.
But then again, maybe I did the right thing since I am still a free man.
Tough call.
In my experience, it is the persons mouth that gets them into, or out of, this type of situation. And while there are exceptions to this....they are exceedingly rare. For those exceedingly rare exceptions, knowing how to do more than fight John Wayne style is very helpful (blocks, throws, joint locks, pressure points, what bones are REALLY easy to break, etc.). I have trained in several martial arts (Karate, Judo, Tae Kwon Do & Aikido). The one that I have found to be hands down the most useful is Aikido.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 03-12-2010 at 14:49..
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 16:58   #20
LoadedTech

You drew this avatar?