Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-12-2010, 15:39   #1
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

SIG 228 assistance

I've always shunned SIG, as I've felt their prices were too much about their name and not enough about real quality in the manufacturing. (Granted, they are THICK and heavy, but the slides on older Sig models are still STAMPINGS, and I just couldn't justify paying $700+ dollars for that...)

BUT, I've always admired the Sig228 due to it's size and ergonomics, and I've found someone who wants to do a private sale on an "older" one. (I don't want one of the new ones which are basically a 9mm version of the 229 which are not as small / light as the originals. - And, yes, I know this would get me into a machined slide instead of a stamped & pinned one, but what can I say? Sometimes I'm fickle...)

I've done some research and found the way to read the year code that is stamped on the bottom of the slide near the muzzle, and I've seen a rough approximation of the Glock Serial Number thread on Sig pistol serial numbers. I also am aware to look for German proofs.

Since I own no Sigs, much of my "learning" so far has been here, the Sig forums, and a buddy who still has a couple Sigs. That still leaves me a couple questions I hope you guys (and gals for G33 ) can help out with:

1. This pistol has some old Trijicon nightsights, so I'm planning on investing the ~$50 for new capsules, but it also has the "Short-Trigger." What is that, and does it raise the value of the pistol any to me?

2. I've heard a lot of Sig fans report that the quality of Sig took a nose-dive somewhere in the last 20 years, but I can't identify when that was. Can someone give me the time-frame and a little history? (I'm guessing it has to do with production in the US, or a particular leader of the company, who came up with ways to cut production costs.)

3. Other than Sig and Mec-Gar, anyone know of any magazine manufacturers for the 228, and whether they're good ones or ones to stay away from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 18:40   #2
preasoner

Send a message via Yahoo to preasoner
Don't about any quality problems of later models

I have 2 Sigs made in the past 2 years and the quality is first rate and the guns are flawless in performance. My 229 is a LE trade in so it has been carried more than fired but meticulusly maintained, the 239 spent most of its first year as a safe queen. I don't know of any quality issues at Sig and neither do my fellow LEOs that carry them. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I wouldn't worry about a Sig
preasoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 18:58   #3
LEAD

1. Short trigger is a thinner trigger that shortens the distance you have to reach to touch the trigger face, it beneficial to those with medium or smaller hands. You can easily buy one for 20-30 bucks if you need the standard trigger. I have one I'd sell you if you needed it.

2. The ideal frame is not U.S. made it will still state sig HQ but should say made elswhere.

3. Stick with Mc-gar or sig factory mags
LEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:41   #4
RedTape

The short trigger is as LEAD described. (You might verify that it's only the short trigger and not a short trigger reset package).

There seems to be a general consensus that Sig QC began to decrease in the mid-2000s. It was at this time that Sig really began to shift from its basic combat handgun line by adding numerous "fluff" models (special editions, multi-colored frames etc.). These are typically attributed to Exeter built guns. That being said, there are plenty of new Sigs that run just fine, however, German made guns are more sought after (primarily West German models).

Pro-mags have worked for me on the range, but I wouldn't use them for anything else. Mec-gar 15rd mags are the best for the 228 IMO.
Heckler & Koch Club Member #26

"What about learning to use a gun?"
"Oh, Johnny didn't believe in guns, he always thought..."
"Well Johnny's dead, think about that."
RedTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:57   #5
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Thanks guys. I get to look her over tonight, and I'll report back with pics, if I get it.

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 22:26   #6
RS2

Here are a couple pictures of my 1989 (JK) 228. The first shows the standard trigger and the second the short trigger and Hogue G10 grips.

The Sig Sauer Club

The Sig Sauer Club

Buy one; you'll like it.

G26 / G19 / G30
RS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 22:55   #7
BOGE

I only own three SIGs. All are 228s. Along with the G19 the best CCW 9mm on earth.
BOGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 15:16   #8
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD View Post
1. Short trigger is a thinner trigger that shortens the distance you have to reach to touch the trigger face, it beneficial to those with medium or smaller hands. You can easily buy one for 20-30 bucks if you need the standard trigger. I have one I'd sell you if you needed it.

Agreed.

Short trigger:

The Sig Sauer Club

Standard strigger:

The Sig Sauer Club

FWIW, after several range trips, I went back to the standard trigger.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:24   #9
crash09

As far as mags go: until recently, Mec Gar was the OEM for Sig Sauer magazines. Functionally, there is absolutely no difference. Cosmetically, the Sig mags are stamped with a Sig logo. Buy Mec Gar and spend the difference on ammo.

I have read on another forum that Sig has contracted with a US manufacturer for their mags recently, but have not read who the company is or heard anything about quality/availability yet.

As for Pro Mag, I've heard enough bad stories about their quality in magazines for Sigs that I will never buy one. The two I had for a Taurus PT 92 were worthless.
crash09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26   #10
Warhorse

Purchase a Sig classic P-series pistol with confidence!

Be very leery of their 1911's, P238's, P250, and the Mosquito 22lr.

Just my honest opinion.
Sig Sauer Club #814
Rimfire Club #814
J Frame Snubbie Club #814
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:55   #11
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Purchase a Sig classic P-series pistol with confidence!

Be very leery of their 1911's, P238's, P250, and the Mosquito 22lr.

Just my honest opinion.
There were very few issues with the 250s other than rolling out the additional models on time.

Apparently all the 1911s are working.

Mosquitos are still iffy. Even if they all work 100%, I still wouldn't buy one. The trigger is horrible.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:08   #12
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash09 View Post
As far as mags go: until recently, Mec Gar was the OEM for Sig Sauer magazines. Functionally, there is absolutely no difference. Cosmetically, the Sig mags are stamped with a Sig logo. Buy Mec Gar and spend the difference on ammo.

I have read on another forum that Sig has contracted with a US manufacturer for their mags recently, but have not read who the company is or heard anything about quality/availability yet.

As for Pro Mag, I've heard enough bad stories about their quality in magazines for Sigs that I will never buy one. The two I had for a Taurus PT 92 were worthless.
Top Gun Supply posted a thread on Sig Forum re Sig's new domestic manufacturer.

As for hearing about Pro Mags' reliability, I have been shooting four of their mags for several years in these kinds of training conditions. No cushioned carpet and white gloves in this environment.

The Sig Sauer Club

The Sig Sauer Club

The Sig Sauer Club
(poor reloading skills - not me )

The Sig Sauer Club
("My magazines are getting dirty.")

The $50 mags are what I carry.

The Sig Sauer Club

Last edited by Cobra64; 04-04-2010 at 11:10..
Old 04-04-2010, 15:44   #13
crash09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
Top Gun Supply posted a thread on Sig Forum re Sig's new domestic manufacturer.

As for hearing about Pro Mags' reliability, I have been shooting four of their mags for several years in these kinds of training conditions. No cushioned carpet and white gloves in this environment.

The Sig Sauer Club

The Sig Sauer Club

The Sig Sauer Club
(poor reloading skills - not me )

The Sig Sauer Club
("My magazines are getting dirty.")

The $50 mags are what I carry.

The Sig Sauer Club

Thanks for the info. I'll go look for that.

Pics look like they're from a Suarez class. How'd the Sig hold up?

Last edited by crash09; 04-04-2010 at 15:45..
crash09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 22:08   #14
sgshoemake

I'm under-impressed with ProMag mags. Bought 3 at Bass Pro Shops, took them to the range once and then took them back to BPS. Stick with used Sig mags or MecGar's.

Just my 2 cents.

While I have several different models of Sigs, the 228 is the sweetest shooting one!
sgshoemake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59   #15
SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

Any update MMa10mm?

I think it really sucks for a lot of new shooters who may never experience the 228 since SIG has stopped importing them for sale.

THe 228 is one of the all time best 9mm. Its combo of size/weight/capacity/ergos/accuracy/reliability is very tough to beat.

I suspect they will continue to be hard to find. I do like the new ones with rails, but its not quite the same as the classic 228.

The Sig Sauer Club
SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18   #16
Seayall

Quick answer, get the 228. You will not be sorry, I own a lot of Sigs, seven at last count and my 228 is my favorite as far as feel and balance. And I don't even really like carrying a 9mm but it is still my favorite. And if you get it and don't like you can go on Sig Forum and sell it in about 30mins tops. Non rail 228's are like the "holy grail" to Sig collectors. I am CCW'ing my 229 in 357Sig today as a matter of fact. Although I have to admit I do carry my G32 about 85% of the time. Just more comfortable.
Seayall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51   #17
mesteve2

Sig's are my second string of pistols...

Get a Glock!

If can not get a Glock!

Sig's will work ok!

Best caliber is .45 and second is the .357 (auto Glock) Sig.

Best frame size is the 220 or 226 in Sig's.

My #1 choice is the Glock model 38 compact in the new .45gap.

Glock is the best band for your Buck!

State of Texas Master Peace Officer
State of Texas Private Security Officer Instructor
State of Texas Concealed Handgun License Instructor
mesteve2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:43   #18
SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesteve2 View Post
Get a Glock!

If can not get a Glock!

Sig's will work ok!

Best caliber is .45 and second is the .357 (auto Glock) Sig.

Best frame size is the 220 or 226 in Sig's.

My #1 choice is the Glock model 38 compact in the new .45gap.

Glock is the best band for your Buck!

I love glock too....but seriously...have you shot a p228?
SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51   #19
Wilson 2008

My West German P228 just came back from Sig (finally got the Sig Service Plan done after 15+years of ownership). If you buy it and are not sure about the serviceability of the small parts, consider sending it to Sig. Two weeks, about $150 including shipping, and you get new night sights along with new springs and pins.

It's a fantastic 9mm, completely reliable, and has perfect ergonomics for my liking. I carry it with Mec-Gar 15 round magazines, which give me 46 rounds when carried one in the chamber with two spare magazines.

Good luck with your decision,

- Wilson
Wilson 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00   #20
Glock30 Guy
XD40

Ive had many Sigs over the past 20 years and never had one issue with them. I currently have a 40 cal P226 and a 45 cal P220. Love em.

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
Glock30 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote