GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:00   #1
CCF

Looking for a self-defense/survival/utility folder...

for EDC. I'm a beginner as far as knives are concerned, but interested in learning (mainly because I now want to carry one).

I have several questions. If it's legal for me to carry in Oklahoma as a citizen (if you know), would an automatic be a good choice? If it's not legal, are assisted-opening knives legal? If no to both, are regular folders ok?

I'm wondering about the different types of blades, as well. It seems like tantos are typically used for tactical purposes. Is it a stronger blade? What is the purpose of a tanto-style blade. Also, would you recommend a regular edge, serrated, or a combo for my purposes?

I know that's a lot to ask, LOL, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 15:24   #2
Ernest Emerson

Re: Looking for a self-defense/survival/utility folder...

Dear CCF,

I am not familiar with the laws in Oklahoma, as each county and municipality in every state have their on individual laws and ordinances. I am not a big fan of autos because the more complex something is the more it is prone to failure, i.e. the P08-Luger. And if you ever have to use your knife in a self defense situation with either an auto or an assisted opening knife you will be in for some very serious cross examining by the law regardless of it is legal or not. (I am an expert witness for the Los Angeles DA- I have seen it happen).

As to blades, carry what is legal (be aware of blade length). Blade styles and shapes is most important to me since I have carried everything and they all do the job as long as they are sharp and easy to get to under stress. The Tanto is strong, easy to sharpen and pierces very effectively. Always, I repeat always get a blade with partial serrations, no matter what any other knife expert tells you. I have used them in 3 life saving situations. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson
Ernest Emerson is offline   Reply With Quote