Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2010, 21:54   #1
anyplainjoe
Nobody special.

LE style ammo vs Civy ammo

Hi Mas,

What are you thought on citizens using a LE style ammo (let's say Ranger T or HST) virsus something branded as 'defense' or even an XTP/Silvertip or a mainstream manufacturer's house brand HP?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 07:56   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Hi Joe:

The "LE only" hollow points (as opposed to, say, something like armor-piercing) have no weight of law prohibiting them from "civilian" purchase or use. The policy is strictly manufacturer's business policy.

It has been hypothesized on the Internet that after a self-defense shooting using such ammunition, prosecutor or plaintiff's counsel could argue that the private citizen in question was a "cop wannabe" or some such. I suppose that's certainly possible, but I haven't seen it happen yet.

A couple of years ago at a meeting with Olin/Winchester ammo execs, I asked them if they were aware of any such case ever happening. They were not.

Should it come up, my own answer would be simple. "Sir, as you know, it is not against the law for me to own or use that ammunition. I used it because I felt that if the police had determined it was the best ammunition for them to use to protect us and our families, it was obviously the best ammunition for ME to use to protect myself and my family."

FWIW, I gave my non-police girlfriend "LE-only" Winchester Ranger-T 127 grain +P+ 9mm and 230 grain .45 ACP to load in her carry guns. Should the issue come up, I believe it would be easily defensible. If it worries the user, similar ammunition such as Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber is readily available to the shooting public, and not restricted to law enforcement.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is online now   Reply With Quote