Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:12   #1
180FMJ

woo-hoo I made bullets

I have finally been able to get all my components and start reloading for my G20.
I have IMR 800-X, Blue Dot and Accurate #7. I worked my way up to 10.2 grains of #7 w/ a 180 grain bullet and had some "smiles" on the casing... Felt like a cannon backed off a few tenths for now.

This is what I have to take to the range.

9.7 grains Blue Dot
8 grains 800-X
9.9 grains #7
(50) of each

All are new starline brass, Rem. LPP, Hornady 180 JHP/XTP
AOL was 1.256 to 1.257
I shot 15 of each at my dad's mini range and all felt good with no signs of high pressure and were surprisingly accurate at 15 yards

I do not have a chronograph yet so I'm sticking to lighter loads for now and don't have any tec. info for you guys

A few questions. How are you guys measuring out powder for production loading? After handling my new brass they seem to be a bit tarnished the next day???? oil from my fingers? Are you guys wearing latex gloves when handeling brass / bullets?

THANKS!
180FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 21:08   #2
MinervaDoe

It sounds like you wisely made small batches so you could test them.

I once made a very large batch of 9mm without realizing that my crimp was inadequate. I drove four hours to do a weekend of shooting and spent the weekend operating my 6906 like a bolt action and loading each round manually. All the while, my 1911 fanatic friends made jokes about my "Wonder 9."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 15:03   #3
180FMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I once made a very large batch of 9mm without realizing that my crimp was inadequate. I drove four hours to do a weekend of shooting and spent the weekend operating my 6906 like a bolt action and loading each round manually. All the while, my 1911 fanatic friends made jokes about my "Wonder 9."

Man that sucks! I have a glock / 10mm hating friend that would have never let me hear the end of it if that happened to me... best part is that he shoots better with my g20 past 25 yards than his 1911... I always give him crap for that!! Good times!!!!

Last edited by 180FMJ; 03-26-2010 at 15:07..
Old 03-24-2010, 23:26   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Let me first say welcome to handloading for a very fine cartridge!

I definitely do not wear gloves or anything else when handling brass. I tumble my brass in a dry corncob media that seems to keep things clean through the loading process.

Regarding production loading, I don't believe that 800-X is suitable for "production" work. It meters like crap and I hand weigh every 800-X load that I charge - even for modest pressure loads. A7 or Blue Dot will work better in my opinion.

I use Blue Dot a lot for my 180 grain volume load. BD meters reasonably well, and my RCBS powder throws charges pretty consistently at +/- less than a tenth of a grain. As a lot of folks do, I weigh every 8 or 10 charges to ensure that I'm getting consistent weights. Once the powder throw is setup, it goes pretty quickly.

A7 meters supremely, and I am confident using a powder throw for charges up to what I would consider near hot. However, I hand weigh every charge that approaches maxes no matter what type of powder. I intend to experiment with A7 for my volume load and possibly convert from Blue Dot. A7 is not flashy like Blue Dot.

I make a habit of hand weighing my charges when "working up" a new load. I do that to eliminate, as much as possible, variables.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35   #5
180FMJ

Thanks Tater
I have been measuring charges with a RCBS uniflow powder measurer with poor results... each throw was + - up to 4 tenths . This was after it threw a correct size charge. Needless to say each and every charge was hand measured. Mabey it's me?? I was real consistent going up and down with the handle. I want to keep it safe and I dont want to cut any corners while measuring powder.
Old 03-26-2010, 17:15   #6
MinervaDoe

I like the 1911 (I own two), but I hate it when hardcore devotees of any brand / style of guns look down their noses at other styles of guns. It's a luddite mentality.

If the you want to use the 800-X and you find that the RCBS uniflow powder measurer is giving too much variance, you might figure what the center of the safe range for 800-X is and see if the variance does not throw you outside of the safe range.

I've had a few powders which did not meter well, but I've rarely had the variance be so great that I couldn't keep the load within a safe range by doing what I describe. If your variance is higher than that, throw your loads on the low side, measure each one and add powder until you hit your mark. Difficult but do-able.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 03-26-2010 at 17:16..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote