Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2010, 18:37   #1
Retired Squid

What is a Certified Glock Armorer do?

The reason I ask is this is a gun so simple to take apart to bare frame and reassemble in 10 or 15 minutes with no special tools or training. I'm not trying to make fun of you guys that are Glock Armorer's and have sight tools and training on other guns and can do minor repairs. I have done everything to my Glocks except replace the sights, all my Glocks have the sights from fractory I like so never had the need to remove and replace with another sight.

But I have heard one or two here that seemed to think it was something really special, but am I wondering if I am jaded because of very strong background in small instrument repair, machine shop, electronics, optics and being around guns all my life.

So light your flame throwers and have at it fellows, but do give some actual info please.
Old 04-30-2010, 20:16   #2
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

For LE departments they need certification in everything these days.
Lawyer up.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 20:34   #3
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
For LE departments they need certification in everything these days.
Lawyer up.
Tort Lawyers is the reason then? Sounds like a possibility. I guess all dept's now days frown on officers messing with their issue gear.
Old 04-30-2010, 21:20   #4
leadslinger13

I have wandered the same thing for years. Still there are many people who feel that the internal working of their weapons are either a mystery or don't want to take the time to learn. they would rather have someone else do the work. I think they would be surprised at how super simple the Glock is and marvel at its engineering. It only enhanced my appreciation for the weapon even further.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 22:40   #5
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

A high level Glock armorer can successfully diagnose problems when they happen to a Glock. This requires more than just assembly/disassembly knowledge. Diagnosis and cure of failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to eject, etc., is not a trivial task.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:22   #6
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
A high level Glock armorer can successfully diagnose problems when they happen to a Glock. This requires more than just assembly/disassembly knowledge. Diagnosis and cure of failure to feed, failure to extract, failure to eject, etc., is not a trivial task.
Some what true I guess, but it's not rocket science to figure FF'S and FE's because there is not exactly too many things that cause the problem. But LS13 I think has pretty much hit the nail on the head as for why so many people will not do but the least amount necessary to maintain anything mechanical. When I showed a few people the Cominolli manual safety for a Glock I installed they were really impressed and asked who did install. They were just amazed that I did the job and one guy asked if I was a trained gunsmith. They just could not understand that the install is that simple and takes 15 minutes or less.

So there is a need I guess for a person with some basic gunsmith skills to help the person that does not have those very basic skills that are required for whatever reason and the Armorer then fills that niche between common minor repair or tunning that a skilled gunsmith would rather not waste time on when he can be doing major gun work such as de-horning to complete building of a custom rifle or handgun.

Before I asked this question my thoughts were why brag about being a person that can take a Glock apart and put it back together when a monkey could be trained to do that easy enough. I guess I had not really thought about how so many people are mystified or scared of anything mechanical.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:04   #7
SAWMAN

Glock Armorer......Blah !

If someone wants to pay Glock to become a "certified,genuine,official,authorized,know it all,Glock armorer",that's fine with me(really it is)but.....I can do what is needed to my Glocks,including find the problem and fix the problem,same as a Glock "GURU" can.

Some feel they need to become a holder of a piece of paper,I happen NOT to be one of them. The day that I need to contact a Glock Armorer to get something fixed on my Glocks is the day I put them all up for sale.

CRAP.....I own 1911's and I am not a "Colt Armorer". I don't feel inadequate about that either.

A good dose of common sense is really all you need. Heck...Glocks are so easy even a cave man could do it.

Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-01-2010 at 09:05..
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:22   #8
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
Heck...Glocks are so easy even a cave man could do it.

Man you're too much even if you can't space you sentence's worth a crap.
Old 05-05-2013, 17:21   #9
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post

I'm a bad speller but that doesen't look right to this old
ignorant son of a bee hive.

you can't space you sentence's
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:01   #10
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post

He's right - it IS so easy a cave man could do it.

Too many people in this world have an inordinate fear of screwing up anything mechanical, so they never try to learn, and never realize how easily they could become an expert in such things if they would only ditch the fear and try.

Last edited by Brian Lee; 05-08-2013 at 11:10..
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:24   #11
lethal tupperwa

amazing how simple Glocks are to work on-------

Amazing how screwed up they can get when some shoemaker works on them.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:35   #12
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

I took my class for the experience and to be able to buy parts at cost directly from Glock. But as luck would have it later on down the road from when I took my class someone offered me a job making decent money because I have that piece of paper.

Also sometimes there are certain parts Glock would send someone for free but only to a local armorer not to the individual, so my piece of paper helps me and my buddy's there in that aspect.

But yes I agree these guns are VERY easy to work on when needed which is not often. Most of the problematic Glocks I have seen that have issues, do so only because of something the owner did.
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:35   #13
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
amazing how simple Glocks are to work on-------

Amazing how screwed up they can get when some shoemaker works on them.
We had a saying back in my USN days, "Nothing is sailor proof'". I have seen so many "certified" people in all kinds of fields that were a joke and made me wonder who the idiot was that certified the individual.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:31   #14
lethal tupperwa

Like an old Chief saying, "watch this s***".

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 05-01-2010 at 11:32..
Old 05-01-2010, 14:12   #15
Retired Squid

Quote:
Like an old Chief saying, "watch this s***".
You betcha.
Old 05-01-2010, 15:04   #16
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Here's some thoughts on being an armorer:

1. Yes, there is a huge truth that LE depts. must have certified people to do stuff. CYA.

2. Having gone through the class I became MUCH more confident and comfortable doing stuff. In addition, there are many "tricks of the trade" that you get taught in Armorer's class, such as what to do when someone accidentally reassembles their Glock after field-stripping, and the last 1/4" of the guide rod is sticking out...

3. There are technical issues that you are taught to diagnose at the lowest (and at this time, the only) level of armorer's course, such as how to "adjust" fixed sights, and other issues.

4. There has been a lot of joking about Armorer's titles really being "part's switchers" and I gotta give the jokster's a lot of credit on that one, because that is pretty much the answer to most every problem you're taught about in the basic armorer's course. (That, and "send it back to Smyrna, and we'll fix it...")

5. The biggest service I provide to my department as the armorer is the annual detail-strip, cleaning, inspection, and function-check. With carrying a gun daily and shooting it 3-5 times a year with only a field-strip cleaning in the aggitene tank at the range, that yearly detail strip and clean really keeps the weapons at their peak of service-ability. Almost never find anything wrong that a good detail-strip cleaning won't take care of. In the five or six years I've been doing this, I've had to replace three recoil springs and one plastic part that cracked. Not bad out of a dozen guns carried daily for about 10 years.

I want to buy your commemorative Glock! Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 15:21   #17
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

For the low price of $79.95 they can change your glock to make it a true piece of CDI kit.
Old 05-13-2010, 20:32   #18
Roneye

Food for thought, an individual works on their personal glock when needed so you may assemble and disasemble your Glock once or twice a week. Let's say you have three glocks so you are familiar whith three different glock models Whereas a lot of armorers work on many different glock models some have experience with every model maybe even the 18 and they do it day in and day out five or six days a week sometimes more than 5 or 6 guns a day. Which would the average shooter rather have work on their Glock?
http://www.boomboomtactical.com
Roneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04   #19
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

I do a lot of armorer stuff for the local LE agencies because none of them maintain an armorer. I work on their Glocks, ARs, and M16s as well as load and supply all their training ammunition. I had to go through the hoops to get the cool paperwork to satisfy the agency protocol. They paid for the courses and I paid travel and other expenses.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:48   #20
HOV

What is a Certified Glock Armorer 'do?

One of many possibilities:

The 10 Ring
HOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00   #21
ultra45

Everything everybody else said, plus, you get to purchase 2 guns a yr at LE prices.
ultra45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 15:06   #22
DVLDGS

Where and how

Im a Marine Combat Vet thats interested in becoming a GA... If Im not working for anyone in the Firearms industry, Is it still possible for me to obtain a GA from Glock? If so, what are the pre-reques? There are a few coming to my town that I was looking at but not sure if I would be allowed to attend...

Thanks..
DVLDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 15:25   #23
lethal tupperwa

If you are a GSSF member it is one of the perks.

and If the class is not LE only you can attend for the fee.

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
Old 04-30-2013, 15:29   #24
DVLDGS

Quote:
If you are a GSSF member it is one of the perks.

and If the class is not LE only you can attend for the fee.
So if I become a GSSF Member for a year I can go to the class for free?
DVLDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 15:31   #25
wolf19r
Problem Solved!

Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
I did it out of intrest and to ads to my resume.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire