Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2010, 20:39   #1
the perfesser

Whatcha think?

I did not set up this club, but I could not resist the temptation to baptize it with the first post and thread. I had an opportunity to shoot both the FN carbine and the pistol briefly some time ago. Found both intriguing, and would like an opportunity to shoot the pistol once again.

My two questions:
(1) Does anyone think that the FN pistol has much of a civilian-commercial or military future?
(2) Will the pistol be discontinued, but the carbine live on for specialized military/police users and as a civilian-owned oddity?
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19   #2
SunsetMan
Lifetime Membership
Proud Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by the perfesser View Post
I did not set up this club, but I could not resist the temptation to baptize it with the first post and thread. I had an opportunity to shoot both the FN carbine and the pistol briefly some time ago. Found both intriguing, and would like an opportunity to shoot the pistol once again.

My two questions:
(1) Does anyone think that the FN pistol has much of a civilian-commercial or military future?
(2) Will the pistol be discontinued, but the carbine live on for specialized military/police users and as a civilian-owned oddity?
Second post! Darn it, you beat me to the first

I have a PS90 and a Five-seveN. The Five-seveN is a lot of fun to shoot. I can shoot it quickly and accurately and the fireball is fun.

I'm not sure what kind of future the pistol has. FN doesn't seem to promote it or the ammo a lot, but then I think they are being conservative to help keep it from being banned.

I hope the pistol is not discontinued. Both the pistol and the carbine are an oddity to me. They are both fun and should do reasonably well for self defense. If I knew I was going into harms way I would want something more powerful though.

The cartridge has potential that FN isn't using for some reason. My guess is that they don't want to increase the civilian ammo's capability of penetrating body armor.
SunsetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09   #3
Jr.
CLM Number 280
Charter Lifetime Member

I'd like to see a sub compact 5.7x28 to use as a bug. A G26/27/33/39 sized gun in 5.7 would be ideal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 21:21   #4
bac1023

Let me be the first to post a pic in this new forum.

5.7 X 28mm Club
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:08   #5
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

Quote:
My two questions:
1. A future, yes...but probably not much of one unfortunately.
2. I'm unsure.
3. I just wanted to be one of the first ten to post in the forum.
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:24   #6
SunsetMan
Lifetime Membership
Proud Introvert

That is a beautiful picture bac!
Old 05-20-2010, 20:35   #7
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMan View Post
That is a beautiful picture bac!
Thanks
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:26   #8
majette

if you have an ar the best way to get in on the fun is to get one of the ar57 uppers or even a complete rifle www.57center.com
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 23:30   #9
Reb 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
if you have an ar the best way to get in on the fun is to get one of the ar57 uppers or even a complete rifle www.57center.com
Just wondering how the AR 57 rifles are for reliability and what kind of velocity do they produce ? Starting to get interested in this caliber but cannot afford the PS90.
Old 05-20-2010, 14:31   #10
mcole

1. yes
2. no
mcole
Old 05-21-2010, 10:53   #11
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Glad to see this new section.

I prev owned a Five-Seven, and I still have a PS90.

I sold the Five Seven to help pay for a Custom 1911. It was a cool gun, but I don't miss it. I never could get it to shoot as accurately on paper as I could other guns. I've seen others report the same issues.

Granted, I could hit the target, just not the center of it all the time. There seems to be some variation in the POI. I also read a magazine article recently, and the writer commented on the way rounds would form a string or a line. He thought itw as odd too.

But, I do not have that issue with my PS90, and I love that gun!

5.7 X 28mm Club
Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 15:56   #12
miatank

Glad to see this club! Bought a 57 pistol recently - have only had one chance to shoot it tho. Generated some brass to reload so we'll try some home-brew next time. Did not get the impression that the factory ammo was all that accurate.
The box the pistol came in sure was big enuf.
Factory round, fired brass, re-sized bass. Notice how much the shoulder moved upon firing. Don't think we'll get many reloads from that brass.

dave - or is it the pistol?
Attached Thumbnails
5.7 X 28mm Club - Click for larger version   5.7 X 28mm Club - Click for larger version  

Last edited by miatank; 05-21-2010 at 15:59..
miatank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 22:11   #13
Case de Callier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatank View Post
Glad to see this club! Bought a 57 pistol recently - have only had one chance to shoot it tho. Generated some brass to reload so we'll try some home-brew next time. Did not get the impression that the factory ammo was all that accurate.
The box the pistol came in sure was big enuf.
Factory round, fired brass, re-sized bass. Notice how much the shoulder moved upon firing. Don't think we'll get many reloads from that brass.

dave - or is it the pistol?

Nice box.

Mine did not have the blue inside, plus it was foam lined. What gives, Man?
Μολὼν λαβέ
Case de Callier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 16:19   #14
grendelbane

Send a message via Yahoo to grendelbane
Quote:
The pistol has only a limited future in any market. Since it has no serious competition, it will continue to be profitable for FN to sell it. The high profit margin helps here.

Lacking gov't interference, the pistol will not be discontinued. The PS-90 has a bright future in the commercial market.

OF course, I was the one that said this new fangled smokeless powder was just a passing fad. Seems like it is here to stay now.
Old 05-22-2010, 14:57   #15
the perfesser

SunsetMan,

I presume that you know all about ATP just south of your town. I think that you're lucky! I stop there at least once on every Charleston visit. Do you know if they will rent out a 5.7 pistol to use at their indoor range? This curious "hobby-ist" from the Upcountry wants to know!
Old 05-26-2010, 17:58   #16
SunsetMan
Lifetime Membership
Proud Introvert

Quote:
SunsetMan,

I presume that you know all about ATP just south of your town. I think that you're lucky! I stop there at least once on every Charleston visit. Do you know if they will rent out a 5.7 pistol to use at their indoor range? This curious "hobby-ist" from the Upcountry wants to know!
Hey perfesser! I've been to ATP a few times. They seem a bit pricey, but it sure is fun to look at the selection. They do class 3 and I believe they rent class 3 too. Every fun shop should have some suppressors behind the glass.

I saw someone pick up a wicked looking Saiga SBR shotty a while back

I don't know if they will rent a Five-seveN or not.

Are there any other gun stores I should visit nearby? I'm fairly new here. I was in Columbus, GA and can heartily recommend Barrow's in Butler, GA. The gun part of the store is in the back of a Napa car parts store. They have a great selection and prices. No class 3 though.

Last edited by SunsetMan; 05-26-2010 at 18:00..
Old 05-24-2010, 15:09   #17
gsr

I'd feel alot better about the future of this round if other companies besides FN loaded it.
gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 17:43   #18
the perfesser

For what it's worth, I read that Elite Ammunition is loading it now. See www.eliteammunition.net .
Old 05-27-2010, 15:40   #19
the perfesser

SunsetMan,

ATP also has good prices on quality SD ammo, and their indoor range is very good. It would be good to find a place that rented the Five-seveN for prospective buyers. It is different enough to warrant some hands-on promotion.

As for other Charleston-area shops, I'll have to ask my relatives who live down there....
Old 05-29-2010, 21:42   #20
Ruggles

Count me in to this forum. Oh I bet the haters are going to try and disrupt some threads here

I had the Five seveN but sold it (all 1911s now) but still have the PS90 and AR57. Great little compromise round IMO.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote