Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-30-2010, 15:14   #1
xsiv4s
CLM Number B
Charter Lifetime Member

Does anyone out there reload 5.7x28mm?

I have been kicking around the idea of going through the hassle of getting a suppressor and I would like to try it on my FN 5.7 or my AR 57 (I guess both). I was wondering about using a larger grain military round (more mass) to make up for less powder. Has anyone messed around with this?
xsiv4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 23:00   #2
miatank

I've seen some loads listed for bullets heavier than 40gr. but have not tried them myself. Suggest you search this forum: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/index.php

dave - should give you a start
miatank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 15:06   #3
grendelbane

Send a message via Yahoo to grendelbane
I have loaded the 55 grain FMJ bullets. I didn't try and keep them sub-sonic, however.

Others have loaded it sub-sonic.

Even heavier bullets have been loaded, but 55 grain is as heavy as I have any experience with.
Old 07-15-2010, 13:37   #4
ar15ed

i have a ps90, and my dad has a 5.7 (pistol). he is an avid reloader. he got a set of the rcbs dies when they first came out, and had no luck at all reloading them. he recently got a set of lee dies that have worked much better. lee doesn't catalog them, but if you call them direct, they will make you a set. i know lee sometimes has a little bad publicity, but i have never had a problem with any of their stuff, and in this case their dies are better than the others.

another thing to know is that brass that has been fired in a rifle seems to resize better than brass that has been fired in the handgun. the action evidently opens up a little quicker in the handgun, and a lot of times the neck is pushed WAY forward. i guess there is a little more dwell-time in the rifles, and they are easier on the brass. that being said, the brass is always HARD to resize. unbelievably hard for such a tiny case. our experience has been that the brass is only useable for a very few loadings, sometimes only one or two times.

i am definitely not an expert on the subject, but i have fooled with them a bit, and i have done some prior research on reloading the little guy. good luck with them!
ar15ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 14:45   #5
srt-4_jon

No need to call and special order them. They are in stock at Midway. I use the Lee dies and they work very well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=261573
srt-4_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:43   #6
louiemn

Hornady Dies

Good afternoon.

I'm writing to ask if anyone has experience using Hornady Dies for 5.7?

Let me know how they are since I'm also an avid Lee Die user, and I love them. But I'd like to try Hornady for 5.7.

Stay Safe!!!

Lou
louiemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 17:08   #7
Roughedgekid
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiemn View Post
Good afternoon.

I'm writing to ask if anyone has experience using Hornady Dies for 5.7?

Let me know how they are since I'm also an avid Lee Die user, and I love them. But I'd like to try Hornady for 5.7.

Stay Safe!!!

Lou
I got the hornady dies when they first came out. I'm a Lee guy also so I would rather have the Lee's. The 5.7 is a pain to load as they are small to handle and I had to get a reducer for my funnel because Hornady dont have the powder through die so I dont load as many as I should but I still have many 35 gr. V-max bullets and around 500 brass in caes I get bored one day.