Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:32   #1
mitchg233

P6 problem(s) update

No doubt the two issues are related. My friend was shooting the P6 that I advised him to buy, and which he is pleased with overall. he was half way through a magazine when the trigger appeared not to reset. No click, no bang. I looked at it at that point and indeed the trigger, although it seemed to be in the correct position for a SA shot, was not engaging anything on the pull. My friend racked the next round into place and the gun fired normally, and continued to for another ten or so rounds. Then, the same issue occurred, and he racked it again, expecting the gun to fire on the new round. HOWEVER, at this point, although the trigger did indeed drop the hammer on the new round, it did not fire. He recocked the hammer with his thumb and tried again 3-4 times, at which point I suggested we look at the round. I expected it was simply a failed primer, but on inspection there was NO imprint of the firing pin on the primer, even after those repeated attempts.

I brought the gun home and fieldstripped, cleaned, checked function as much as I know how, and reassembled. Dry firing does not show any problems, and when the gun is apart and the safety lock is depressed, the firing pin seems to have full range of motion, and the end does not appear damaged. I don't think this gun has experienced a pierced primer. I am headed back to the range today, but just going on hope at this point.

BTW, springs are original and DA pull is very stiff, which I expect is normal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by mitchg233; 06-03-2010 at 20:40..
mitchg233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:57   #2
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

On the SIG Sauer design you may need to drive out the roll pins in the slide & remove the breach block & clean the firing pin, firing pin channel & breach block, plus the firing pin safety & spring, These get very crudy over time in there..
All you need to take the slide apart is a punch & a board with a hole drilled in it, In my stash somewere I have the propper Metric Roll Pin Punches but a standard punch will work just fine..
Here's a video that shows what I'm talking about..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3K45jriTRE
Good Luck!!

I bet there's a bunch of crud in the firing pin channel, even brass shards, carbon & copper residue..
Hope this helps..
Also taking apart the frame is very easy & it should be super cleaned & lubricated on the pivot points, Sigarms recomends TW-25B Lubricant but any oil or light grease will also work such as Tetra..
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 15:20   #3
mitchg233

Thanks Sig, I can handle the breech block disassembly and will clean the FP before heading to the range. Thanks for the link!
Old 06-01-2010, 17:27   #4
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

No problem dude!!
I'll bet that it's never been cleaned within the breach block..
They can hold quite a bit of rubbish in there..

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 06-03-2010, 20:48   #5
mitchg233

Ok I removed the block, FP, safety lock, and springs and cleaned them with brake cleaner. Didn't touch the extractor. Put the block back in dry, and greased the rest of the gun.

Symptoms remain. It will fire 2-4 then the hammer drops and no bang. Trigger has not reset which makes sense since the slide has not cycled, I guess. Primer shows no imprint at all......not even a suggestion of one. My guess is the safety lock is not getting depressed (upward), but when cycling the lower by itself I see no problem, lots of upward movement and no sideways wiggle. I will fool with it some more but I wish this $300 gun didn't have to go back to Sig for a $150 tuneup.
Old 06-03-2010, 21:22   #6
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

I'm not a SIG Gunsmith & if I were you I would ask over at the SIGFORUM..
There's a couple of guys over there & SIGs are all they work on..

I've taken a red maker to the firing pin of a Colt 1911 & it's FP safety before to see If the pin is dragging on the safety in order to fit the parts..

Good Luck!!
I would have thought for sure that cleaning the breach block would have healed you troubles..
Old 06-03-2010, 23:15   #7
mitchg233

Quote:
I would have thought for sure that cleaning the breach block would have healed you troubles..
It was a good thought, not difficult, and I appreciate the help. There did not seem to be a lot crud in the FP channel.

I will check out the sig forum, thanks.